hey if i drink soda halfway through my pregnancy will it effect my baby

chyna18

Asked by chyna18 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Pregnancy

• No. My OB GYN told me studies show it doesnt effect them at all unless you are going overboard. If you drink a case of mountain dew then yep itll be harmful, but thats true to anyone whether they are pregnant or not. A cup of coffee in the morning and one soda during the day isnt going to hurt. In fact towards the end of your pregnancy if you dont feel the baby move every so often the doctors usually have you drink one and lay on your side to make the baby move.

Answer by gemgem at 3:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Everything you eat and drink affects baby, The Effects of what you eat and drink can help, hurt or be neutral towards baby. A non-caffeinated soda will likely just give baby a little more sugar. I don't think one caffeinated soda would cause brain/nerve damage, but I personally choose to not take the risk. I believe that most obgyn's say it is okay in moderation.
    jwaren

Answer by jwaren at 3:35 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• okay thank you because i've been drinking pepsi sodas like crazy
    chyna18

Comment by chyna18 (original poster) at 3:35 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• okay thank you because i've been drinking pepsi sodas a whole lot lately and i've been getting heartburns thats why i had to stop
    chyna18

Comment by chyna18 (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I drank Coke thoughout all three of my pregnancies and all three of my kids turned out fine.
    camy41075

Answer by camy41075 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• i hope my second one does to
    chyna18

Comment by chyna18 (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I think the key is moderation. Limit it to a couple a day, no need to skip them all together.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 4:21 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Just try to drink in moderation. I drank sodas throughout all three of my pregnancies, and they all went good.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 4:59 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• well yes it can but i wouldn't be too worried unless you are drinking a lot of it. i've seen where experts say to keep it less than 5 a day, but i'd say the less caffeine, and the less sugar/aspartame, the better! i always tried to drink less than half a soda a day while i was pregnant.
    Anonymous

• one other things is that a lot of diet sodas has been linked to premature labor.
    Anonymous