My 8 year old HATES school and won't talk about it..what to do?

Lately, my son gets up in the morning hating school and even cries. I have asked him what's wrong and he just says he "hates to go to school" isn't this unusual? I at least had SOME subjects I liked but with him, he says he only likes lunch recess and going home. He is a smart kid doing at grade level with everything except math, and he does need more help with that.
He was bullied on the bus for a while but we put a stop to that.
I don't know what to do. I have requested a meeting with the counselor with no luck so far.
Anyone else go thru this?

bookmommy

Asked by bookmommy at 3:50 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It is a very real possibility that his teacher dislikes him. They do, sometimes.

When he's home, he can still see the kids he goes to school with, without all the rest of the garbage. When my kids were little, we used to go to the school up the street for lunch hour sometimes. Mostly, they found out that they preferred to hang out with their friends when there were fewer obnoxious and poorly-supervised children around.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:02 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Yeah, that's my first thought... that he's getting bullied and maybe they're giving him a bad time for telling you before, so he's more afraid to talk about it. That's such a difficult situation! I hope you do get in to see the counselor!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 4:00 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• If your son is crying, then I would most definitely be concerned. Bullying may be happening again. Sometimes children are too afraid to tell anyone. I would try and talk to him again, letting him know its okay to be open and honest with you. That is so sad, he just may be too scared to go to school.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• When my dd said this she was 4 and in preschool. She hated going and when she started to cry about it, we withdrew her and never looked back, she is turning 7 this week and we;ve been homeschooling for 3 yrs now and she is happy and loves to learn. Later we found out that there was a child in the classroom tormenting and hitting the other children.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 8:24 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• there might be some kid or kids are pciking on him and begin mean
    no my son loves school and he 8 too
    ilovemyson2002

Answer by ilovemyson2002 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• He was supposed to see the counselor Friday, but the counselor blew off the appointment. I hate this school district. I am tempted to just take him out and homeschool. we are always below national averages on state tests , etc.
    bookmommy

Comment by bookmommy (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I've seriously been considering it. I just hate to pull him out unless it truly is the best option. I know he'll miss some of the kids he goes to school with.
    bookmommy

Comment by bookmommy (original poster) at 9:22 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• maybe home schooling is your best option idk but gl x
    san78

Answer by san78 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Last year my DD was in 2nd grade and she would give me a hard time in the morning and cry. After meeting with her teacher I found out that once she got into school she was okay. after a few weeks I learned that she hated lunch because a boy was bothering her.

I would talk to the principal if you are getting no where with the counselor and I would try and meet with the teacher.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 17, 2011