How can I get them to stop fighting?

HELP!! As I sit here typing this I am in tears! My kids are 7, 5, and 1, and the older 2 both girls fight ALL the time!! They fight from the time they get up until they go out the door to school, and they fight from the time they both get home as well! It's getting VERY VERY OLD!

I have hopes of taking them to Disney World over christmas vacation, it's a 20 hour one way trip, if I can't them to stop fighting I'm afraid we will all be miserable on the trip!
I understand the thought of sibling rivalry, but this is getting beyond old! How do I stop this??? Any tips on what to do will be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:03 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in General Parenting

• when my girls get like that they aren't allowed to talk to each other or play together for an entire day. By the end of the day they are so bored they are begging to play together. As for the Disneylnd trip, it will be harder on you but leave in the middle of the night s they will sleep for a good part of the trip, that's what we do and it's so peaceful.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:32 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• With my children if they are fighting I separate them. I do not let them play together for 20 minuntes. I am always reminding them that in the end they will always have each other even though it does not seem that way now.

I have also had my children write letters to each other either apologizing or telling each other what they like about the other person.

I think you have to discipline them so they understand that this behavior is not acceptable. If they like watching TV then take it away.

Lastly, if they get really bad put them to bed early. My children have been in there rooms as early as 6:30. If they share a room then one goes in my room.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:09 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• It may seem extreme, but if they can't stop fighting, don't go to Disney World. Why make yourself miserable? Wait a year or two until they have outgrown this stage, and by then your 1 year old will enjoy it more. If they want to know why you aren't going, say something like you don't think the family is ready for a trip like that, I wouldn't put a whole guilt trip on them.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 8:56 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I love what SuperNanny does. Have a "naughty chair" (toilets work great, so do corners). I even use this with my teens at times - not to demean them, but to remind them that if fighting is all they are interested in doing, they can just do it with themself. If they just return to it when they are done "sitting," I have them sit down in the backyard and they can't come in until they have worked it out.
    TeaAnderson

Answer by TeaAnderson at 2:26 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• you really need help. go to the show nanny's. ahah well talk to your kids and make them talk to each other and be mean to them.
    __baovang

Answer by __baovang at 2:53 PM on Nov. 13, 2008