Is this what they mean by transparency?

Newly inaugurated Maine Gov. Paul LePage, makes a point while delivering remarks after being sworn in Wednesday, Jan. 5, 2011 in Augusta, Maine. (AP Photo/Pat Wellenbach) Tea Party Gov. to NAACP critics: 'Kiss my butt' CLARKE CANFIELD,Associated Press PORTLAND, Maine (AP) -- Maine's governor is telling critics to "kiss my butt" over his decision not to attend the state NAACP's annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day celebrations this weekend. Gov. Paul LePage declined invitations to attend a dinner in Portland on Sunday night and a breakfast in Orono on Monday because of prior commitments. The NAACP's state director said the group felt it was being neglected by the new governor, a Republican elected in November with Tea Party support. When asked by a reporter Friday to respond, LePage said: "Tell them to kiss my butt." LePage made news last fall on the campaign trail when he told a group of fishermen that if he were elected, "you're going to be seeing a lot of me on the front page, saying 'Governor LePage tells Obama to go to hell.'" Copyright 2011 The Associated Press.

emilysmom1966

Asked by emilysmom1966 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• It would have been possible to graciously decline the invitation.

He did, repeatedly. They kept nagging him about it and went to the press over it, so he responded to the press by treating them with the respect they eventually earned.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:53 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Seems to me like he's rude, self absorbed and egotistical. It would have been possible to graciously decline the invitation.

***

Yet when Obama does this, he gets nothing but praise and support from his peeps. The double standard reeks around here!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:13 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• No, that is what is known as standing up to pushy lobbyists who don't take no for an answer and feel entitled to demand whatever they want of elected officials.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:45 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• From the other article:

Dan Demeritt, LePage's Director of Communications, says the governor has personal commitments on Sunday and he is attending the funeral of a state trooper on Monday.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:26 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Yeah, the guy is a real A-hole for not being badgered into missing a State Trooper's funeral. What a *ick.

*dripping with sarcasm*

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Sounds like he is cut from the same cloth as Chris Christie!! LOL Woot!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:47 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• How many times do you have to utter the word no, before the person asking has crossed a line? The better question is, why do they insist he go? I mean, if someone doesn't want to go to my party, I'm not going to hold a gun to their head....
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• And of course lets ignore the most poignant part of the whole story:

Gov. Paul LePage declined invitations to attend a dinner in Portland on Sunday night and a breakfast in Orono on Monday because of prior commitments.

I believe the other article that was referenced in the other question actually said what his plans were. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Yet when Obama does this, he gets nothing but praise and support from his peeps. The double standard reeks around here!

I must have missed the multiple posts about the time that the president told someone to "kiss his butt" or telling elected officials to "go to hell".  Surely, if the president had said anything like that, there would have been many, many threads in this section going on and on about how crass he was--there are about every other real or imagined misstep. 

I don't understand how this sort of behavior can be applauded in our elected officials--from either party.  I'm embarrassed when Democrats do it, and equally embarrassed for the Republicans when they do it.  There's no double-standard in my opinion.  Bad manners are bad manners, and shouldn't be applauded simply because you hate the other party.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 6:47 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Biden and Obama both have cussed by a hot mic and in an interview. I guess they lead by example. This dude is just following suit.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:10 PM on Jan. 16, 2011