Cant sleep.. keep coughing..

URGH!!! Im 6 weeks pregnant, and i went to the doctors today to find out a have an upper respitory infection... and i cant sleep. I just keep coughing and coughing. I have a 10 month old who co sleeps. And i just keep waking her up.
What can i do to stop coughing???
Can i take anything???
It hurts very bad, and its starting to hurt my stomach. When i cough.

mommyofAurora

Asked by mommyofAurora at 7:22 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't take anything unless you ask your doctor first. Using a humidifier should help though.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 7:33 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• The humidifier just got my pillow wet.. it didnt do anything else!!!
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 7:49 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• quit arguing with people on cafemom lol go get a hot bubble bath and some hot tea and relax think about what your going to get that little one for christmas lmao
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:51 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• For an infection, you can get antibiotics. There are quite a few that are safe for pregnant women. Also ask you doctor, but there are also quite a few over the counter cold meds that are ok(mine gave me a list that I kept on my fridge my whole pregnancy), they can help you get through the worst of it until the antibiotics start working. Along with the humidifier, lots of hot steamy drinks/foods will help you clear up, like herbal teas, chicken soup, etc. Good luck, I hope you feel better soon!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 8:52 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Im not getting an antibiotic!!! are you crazy!! Im pregnant.. i hate medicine to begin with.. let alone putting it in my body while pregnant.. gross.
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 9:10 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• there are some cold meds you can take. ask your doctor. most of them have a tylenol base. when i was pregnant i only took the meds when i went to bed. i needed some sleep to be able to function the next day. you only need antibiotics if your doctor says you do.
    Kifole

Answer by Kifole at 10:09 AM on Nov. 13, 2008