I need advice on this career!

I am thinking of going back to school to get my masters in social work! I am really excited when I think of the classes and the career but I am worried about not being able to find a job when I get done. I've been searching for jobs out there and there seems to be nothing!! Anyone out there with a MSW that could give me an opinion on this field or any advice?? Thanks!! Jamie

jrgorby19

Asked by jrgorby19 at 7:27 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Money & Work

• Well, i'm not in the field but know someone who is and have heard alot about it. I wouldn't do it, but that is just me. I just can't fathom paying that much money in school (probably school loans) and come out making absolutely no money. They get paid nothing. So you come out with a masters, and loans out the ass and no income to show for it. But hey, some people have that calling.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My friend works for the Dept of Labor. She told me about this site http://online.onetcenter.org/ Social work is extremely competitive. It is also not a "in demand" career.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 9:45 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My closest friend has her degree in social work, and it's a tough field. Lots of long hours, not so high on the pay scale, and competition can get really fierce.

What draws you to that field?
    TeaAnderson

Answer by TeaAnderson at 2:20 PM on Nov. 13, 2008