what do you think?

Okay I have this neighbor across the street from me. She's much older than me, but she lost her mom two years ago, and lost her dad last year. We started talking on the phone right away because I'm a good neighbor, and I wanted to make sure she was coping okay. Well the friendship immediately took a turn for the worse after our third phone call. I have many friends of different races, and what she said offended me. We were talking about how unsafe it is now to go out at night, and how you have to be careful. She told me that she was getting in her car one night, and a man(who happened to be another neighbor) walked up from behind her car. She said it scared her because at night you can't see "black" people like you can "white" people. He only wanted to acquire about her dad's truck, if she was going to sell it. Was this a racist comment, or did I take it the wrong way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Relationships

• I think you took it the wrong way. JMO
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:15 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• No offense, but I think you took it the wrong way. Heck, even if she said she was scared because he was black, isn't a major offense. It is true of some people, but that doesn't mean they hate the race.

Also, the older generation definitely has different ideas about races and culture than newer generations. I would never hold something like that against them...and if they did make a hateful comment, I would confront it. If they rejected the confrontation, then I'd would move away from the relationship.

And as my African-American friend Chris says..."Well, black people ARE harder to see in the dark!" LOL
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 5:16 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I think you took it the wrong way. She was just making an observation.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 5:16 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• And considerign you dont know her that well Id let this go and see how she really is in the future. Maybe she is a racist. But you dont know that for sure and need time to figure that out.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:16 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I don't think she intended for it to come across as racist. To be sure, the next time you chat, you could veer the conversation in that direction and see what her response is. Believe me, if people are racist--it shows.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 5:17 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• continued:
    I told her that if "anyone" no matter what race, walked up from behind me, how would I determine their race? I truly feel she is prejudice, because when her dad was living she had home health and nurses coming in, but I started seeing all the black nurses leave suddenly, but one white nurse stayed, and ended up stealing money from her.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:17 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• You did take it the wrong way, it didn't mean a thing.

Answer by older at 5:17 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I don't see an edit button, but when I wrote "it is true of some people" I meant that it is true that some people are afraid when they come across someone of a different race alone at night...but that doesn't mean they hate the race.
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 5:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I personally think youre a little sensitive. Im not saying thats bad but if you cant handle a small comment like that then maybe you should distance yourself from her
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:19 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I am African American and I don't considered it racist.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 5:21 PM on Jan. 16, 2011