gun control

This is going around on facebook. How do you feel about it? Do you agree or disagree? Why or why not?

To everyone calling for stricter gun laws in light of the tragedy in Tucson, may I offer this little tidbit: If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars drive drunk, and spoons made Oprah fat ! Remember: Hold the person accountable for their actions, not the means they chose to utilize!!! Repost if you agree!

usdragonflies

Asked by usdragonflies at 5:14 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I liked this response someone gave to that FB post:

"Let's absolutely hold people accountable for their actions, but let's also not act as if their choice of means has nothing to do with their chance of success, or even if they choose to attempt an action. I could write a manuscript for a book with a pencil, but I make it much easier on myself (and increase my chances of getting published) if I use a computer. I could walk to get to the next town, but if I can't drive my car I probably won't even go. I can assassinate a politician with a knife, but my chances increase dramatically (and I don't have to get up as much courage) if I use a sniper rifle or a Glock with a 31-shot magazine. Many people who were shot to death would be alive today if their assailants had chosen different weapons, so let's finally put this disingenuous argument to rest. People kill people, and guns make it a lot easier for them to do so."
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:41 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• This is what it all boils down to!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I dont think we need gun control. I enjoy being able to own a gun. If we have stricter laws or bans on them then only criminals will have guns.

Answer by gemgem at 5:17 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Nothing can be done about someone sneakly carrying a gun into a public place and shooting a nine year old .

Nothing can be done about someone sneakily carrying a homemade pipe bomb into a public place and blowing up a nine year old, 2 buildings, and 100 other people within a half mile radius. Do you really think stricter gun laws would've stopped a paranoid schizophrenic that NOBODY was willing to step in and stop? You should be more worried about the state of mental health laws and less about adding even more archaic and redundant gun laws that have no impact on the actions of the criminal or mentally deranged.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:21 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Exactly, that's why we need stricter regulations to keep Guns out of their hands!

You mean like drug laws keep drugs out of people's hands and immigration laws keep people out of the country?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:43 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Good thing we already have multiple laws that say just that. Or are you advocating the inclusion of psychics at all gun stores to screen people who've never been to a doctor before for mental illness? Answer by NotPanicking

Exactly.  And not to mention the fact that someone could easily pass a background check while they are in their early years and obtain a licencing for a firearm, only later to have a mental illness develop.  Anon, I don't think you understand enough about mental illness and how it exhibits.  I don't even understand it much but I know that just because someone seems stable at the moment doesn't mean in three years they will be exactly the same.  Even if one couldn't get a legal firearm, if they have a source for drugs, they likely have a source for an illegal weapon. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Sounds about right.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:17 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• . Nothing can be done about someone sneakly carrying a gun into a public place and shooting a nine year old ...that could have been my child.

While its a scary thought like PP said thats the problem with the gun control laws it will not stop the type of person that did this horrible act from doing it.

It will stop me a law abiding citizen though and where is the gain in that? I do practice gun control...... I always use two hands.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• What part of "shall not be infringed" do people not get??? I don't need the govt to control my weapon, I'm a damned good shot.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:38 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• To some, gun control = accuracy.  I'm all for accuracy.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:20 PM on Jan. 16, 2011