Is not disagreeing with someone the same as agreeing

if someone talks negatively about the person you're dating constantly in your presence and you don't say anything in their defense something simple like ' ok ok have a little respect', could it be the same as you saying it, because you didn't disagree.

thelovelymzbre

Asked by thelovelymzbre at 5:17 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Relationships

• IMO,yes

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• No. Sometimes it's just simpler to keep quiet.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I would let it slide the first few times, but would come to his defense ultimately if it kept on, some people like to nitpick at others and make fun. I would be disappointed if the roles were reversed and my date didn't come to my defense.

Answer by older at 5:19 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Well, there's a couple ways of looking at it. On one hand, put yourself in his shoes. Would you want him to defend you? On the other hand, could it be that you haven't defended him because there's some truth in what the other person is saying?
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 5:23 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• my husband gets talked badly abt infront of me and i dont ALWAYS come to his defense. sometimes it is better not to say anything, at the same time youre probably just agreeing with it and you dont want to admit it to anyone out loud.
    MommaSammie

Answer by MommaSammie at 5:25 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• yes
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 5:26 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I'm actually talking about him. I have always defended him but in every situation he has left me to defend myself. His friend referred to me as a b word, I spoke up he said I should have never said anything, yet neither did he. His family talks bad about me, my child, my cooking, everything, him...he says absolutely nothing. He says he tries to respect everyone but isn't this disrespecting me?
    thelovelymzbre

Comment by thelovelymzbre (original poster) at 5:28 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• He should take up for you.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 5:38 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• No. Not saying anything or saying something nuetral doesn't mean you agree with them. It just means you're not going to fan the fire.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:48 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• No, cause you could totally disagree with it in your mind but just not wanting to get into it or hurt someones feelings.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:19 PM on Jan. 16, 2011