Would you eat bugs instead of meat to save the planet?

http://www.naturalnews.com/031023_global_warming_insects.html

What do you think?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 5:45 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• No, But I would go back to cooking it over fire.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:46 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• >.> no
    Gen

Answer by Gen at 5:48 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• We already all eat bugs - any time you eat something that contains carmine, cochineal extract, Red 4, or E120, you are eating something colored with beetle extract. That's not counting all the allowable bug bits the FDA permits in any sort of packaged food like peanut butter or granola bars.

That said, I think KNOWINGLY eating bugs is different than "knowing" you're probably eating some bugs. (and because it bears repeating - planet is fine, people are screwed)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• We don't eat anything with red food coloring in it. But I still use lipstick. Can't seem to wean myself off of it.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 5:52 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• No.  And about this: 

Published in the journal PLoS ONE, the study found that pigs, for instance, produce up to one hundred times more greenhouse gases than the equivalent weight of mealworms.

There is an exploding population of wild / feral pigs in the United States.  How would eating bugs do anything about them?  I do agree with the line in the article that says that while it's a nice thought in theory, it is unknown whether this would work in real life.

Interesting.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:54 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I wont eat bugs, and I dont eat that much meat..
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 5:55 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I would never eat bugs, it doesn't matter what the reason is. I don't eat much meat, in fact I try to avoid it when possible. I seriously doubt my meat habits are affecting the planet much since I have maybe 3 servings of it a week.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 5:58 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Am I starving to death and there is nothing else? I have to say a resounding NO!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:03 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I'm sorry, I already get my daily quota in the other stuff I eat. Who in their right mind would give up a Rosemary & Orange Scented Pork Loin for dinner tonight?????
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:05 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Really, is it going to make that much of a difference? With all of the other things we are doing to kill our planet, I think there are a lot of other avenues to go down to cut greenhouse gases before we go to the extreme of eating bugs.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2011