What would you do?

What would you do if your child was out of control, cursed at you and even raised a hand to you? As far as physical abuse Id call the cops and let them spend the night terrified in jail. What would you do? OR What have you done? How doyou cope with a hateful, out of control child? Do you take them to counseling or let it happen?

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 5:46 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• I turned him in and a couple times I had to close line him to stop him from hurting himself or others now he is twenty and his life is getting better. Locking them up does not terrify them or it did not for mine.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:48 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• counseling.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• At the first sign of abuse or disrespect, I would put a stop to it right there and then, this  happens when you let it slide.

Answer by older at 5:58 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I think I would call the cops or kick them out....hate to do it but the raising a hand thing is a done deal for me.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:12 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I would suggest counseling, then maybe a mild medication for a while. have they been diagnosed with anything? you might want to try a bootcamp type deal for kids younger than 18.......might work. i agree with everyone else too. let them sweat it out in jail for a night or two. might change a few things.........
    OurHeartsAwait

Answer by OurHeartsAwait at 6:16 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• well it depends on age for one... my son isn't out of control but just hyper i tell him to keep his hands to himself and if he says anything mean then he gets the wrath of me.... will my son swear at me or anyone for that matter no that is not allowed and never will be.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 6:17 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I am sorry it sounds like you have your hands full sweetie. Well being a mom to a man 33, a daughter 29 and a 17 year old son, we have done it all. Hang in sweetie. Look into anger management, they do have affordable classes and it does put the light on the issue. No one should be at the other side of anger. Sometimes with teens there is a underlining issue that needs to be looked at, ya know? I would be reluctant to call police. The truth is there is more to just scaring the bejeezus out of 'em. Then there are court fines, court appearances, uninvited services, etc. Keep sharing and asking for support ultimately you will know what is right for your family.

rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 6:30 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Thanks so much for your suggestions/input ladies. I am not in this situation though. I just asked because of another ? I was reading. Thanks though for your support rosetoes! If Im ever in this situation youll be the first Ill contact! thanks!
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• My son has Autism and during his meltdowns he can get quite horrible - swearing, screaming, slamming doors, kicking the wall, hitting others.... His meltdowns were a living nightmare for both him (being so out of control) and for me. I did get him into therapy and she is working with him on self-calming techniques and anger management, and he was put on medication as well. I must say that the therapy and meds are really helping him and life has been so much better for both of us!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:55 PM on Jan. 16, 2011