Grammar and spelling on the Internet

Do you believe that it is necessary and/or better to use proper grammar and spelling when you're on the Internet?

Personally, I would rather everyone used proper grammar and spelling, typos notwithstanding. I understand that it doesn't reflect who you are as a person for the most part, but I absolutely believe that (most of the time) it can be an indication of whether you generally know what you're talking about. CAN be; there are exceptions, I know.

Bottom line- if you're going to call me uneducated or say that I don't know what I'm talking about, at least spell it correctly. If you're not telling me that, live and let live.

MamaRae85

Asked by MamaRae85 at 5:50 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I'm actually in between. I myself prefer to use correct grammar because that is my preference. However I don't make a big deal if someone else doesn't. It is just social networking, if you can't relax when you're in the comfort of your own home on your won computer when can you. However sometimes old habits die hard, if you continue to use bad grammar it can lapse over into your professional life. You can become unsure of whether you're spelling a word correctly and actually misspell it. But to each their own.
    thelovelymzbre

Answer by thelovelymzbre at 5:54 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I love languages and do my best to talk and spell the one's I know as correctly as I can. I'm kind of nerdy with it. lol
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 5:54 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• okay!
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:55 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Yes, I believe people should take the extra effort and spell something out correctly.

runing setences toether like this n puting rndom gs or ks in it for dded spnk wold do anthing but cofuse n then yore jst n a ntire wold of hrt tring 2 ndertand n coprehend wat smeone s tping nt muh fn whn te sntences hae n peiods o prper pnctuation s t o y gdness nw youe eys ae realy strting 2 boher yu....

Simply put, PLEASE try to type correctly.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 5:58 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I think that if you can't find a coherent sentence with both hands and a flashlight, you shouldn't expect people to take you seriously.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I don't see much point in calling people out over their grammar (with the exception of people who insist on calling others out for "grammer" - they're just begging for it). That said, I do think the more poorly a question or answer is composed, the more likely it is to be ignored. If someone doesn't care enough to make sure their question or answer is legible, why would anyone else care enough to read it? I've seen people who barely speak English put together more coherent questions than some people who just don't give a damn, and even though it's obvious they're struggling with it, you can at least tell they are trying.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:03 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I've always had trouble with spelling. It was always hard for me to remember how some words were spelled and phonics never worked for me. But, now that I do spell a lot better, not perfectly, and considering it has taken me so long just to be able to spell correctly, most of the time, I try to write correctly. It would be too difficult trying to memorize all kinds of abbreviations now too. I mean if someone else uses an abbreviation I can usually figure them out but I can't remember them to write with them myself.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I wish people would realize just how badly text and ghetto speak makes them sound. Poor grammar is one thing (and yes, it does bother me), but when people can't even create a complete thought then they are really in trouble.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:14 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I don't understand why people who wouldn't think of picking their noses in public or going to a party with a smear of mud across their faces can't manage to double-check what they have typed, or use spell-check if they are bad spellers. This is a written medium; what you write is who you are to other people. If your spelling is awful or your grammar is incomprehensible, you are making yourself look bad.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:31 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Most of us on these sites.. like Facebook, Myspace and Cafemom are typing quickly and really don't think about grammar n spelling. I do shorten words when spelling sometimes and that's my preference and if ppl think that I am uneducated then that's their problem. I type how I want and I will not criticize anyone for how they type.

Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2011