Agree or disagree: "Children are second chances."

I heard somebody say that the other day and thought: "Oh my goodness, the poor child!" Because what this basically means to me is parents trying to push onto their children what they couldn't achieve themselves. That's horrid. So... disagree.

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 5:58 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Disagree.
    I have adult children and was talking to my mom the other day about how I wished for more for them. They are successful in their own rights but took paths I probably would not have picked for them. My mom said its always that way. What your kids become is never what you picked or envisioned for them. As long as they are happy and well adjusted good people in society is all that matters.

Who ever you heard say this is in for a big shock.

Answer by gemgem at 6:12 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I think it's a little more complicated than just agree/disagree.  I want my kids to have more than I did, more of everything.  Opportunity, food, clothes, toys, experiences.  Pushing them to TRY things that I didn't get too, yes I'm completely guilty of that.  Forcing them to do everything that I didn't do, no.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 6:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Children are not second chances. When my daughter was born 2 years ago on my birthday, I saw it as a second chance for ME to get my life together and not feel so bad about not finishing college. It was my sign. That I could start over. Just like her new life began on my birthday, I could begin a new life as well. Filled with no regret. As far as using her to fulfill dreams I had, no that's just wrong.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 6:04 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Omg. people like that shouldnt have children.
    I want a million things for my son- most of which are sky high and will never happen, but I would NEVER push my kid into anything he didnt want to do, or expect him to go after everything I lost, or never got.
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 6:01 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I also disagree.

Answer by older at 6:01 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I disagree as well. I am a grandmother who raised two children and I have 3 grandchildren (one of whom we are raising now). My children were not a second chance for me but a first chance for them. A chance for them to become what they were meant to be. Now for some people they would struggle with me saying that because one of my children is a alchohic/drug addict. That definitely wasn't what I wanted him to be nor was I in any form involved in drugs or alcohol. I have even been accused of wanting to raise my grandchild so I could do over the mistakes I made raising my son but that's not true either. I was the best parent I could be at the time I was raising him. Now my granddaughter has her first chance to be what she is meant to be.
    remomingit

Answer by remomingit at 6:05 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• i disagree... i want my son to have it better then me but not make up for what i didn't do... he is his own person and will make his own choices and i'd want him too.. i'd like him to be in sports but i will not force it on him it will be up to him if he wants to.. i would just want him to do well in school and suceed as a person.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 6:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Disagree, they are their own person.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 5:59 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Children are their own people. We can help guide them but we shouldn't push what we wanted to do or accomplish during our lives on them. We should encourage and nurture their own desires, goals and wants.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:00 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I disagree as long as the adult is breathing they have a chance to win in their own life life.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:01 PM on Jan. 16, 2011