Has anyone ever actually known someone who has died as a result of "licking the batter spoon"?

My friend and I were debating this and neither of us has actually heard of it happening. Again as a DIRECT ,ie. traced and proven result of the raw batter on the spoon.
would love to hear all thoughts :).

Bearsjen

Asked by Bearsjen at 6:13 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Health

• LOL! Love this question.....no, I have never seen a documented case......frankly, I live dangerously....I thaw the turkey on the counter, I stuff the turkey and cook it with the stuffing inside.....I lick the bowl, and give the mixer attachments to my kids to lick, I let my children run around outside without shoes on when it is warm, and I do it myself.....I also let them run around the house naked until they are 5 if they so choose...I let them play with balloons, and we climb on old fashioned monkey bars made of metal as well as trees....we shoot off fireworks in our yard, and we have guns in our home....I don't know how we've survived this long....oh yes, our animals don't always go to the vet, and we don't visit doctor's very often...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• No, we like the spoon and eat cookie dough, but I won't allow my kids to eat raw hot dogs because people really have died from that.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:26 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• what!! i lick the spoon all the time!! ohno....
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 6:14 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• The reason they day this is because of the raw eggs. Raw eggs that are not pasteurized CAN (not always, but can) contain salmonella. This is why they give the warning. You should also not eat raw cookie dough.

I know and understand this--but I still lick the spoon and eat the raw cookie dough. 

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:17 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• i think over doing it can get you really sick but never heard of dieing over it.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 6:21 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• No, I suppose it's salmonella or something they are worried about?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:15 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• sidesplittinglaughter

nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 6:22 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• No never have and I lick the spoon too.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 6:38 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I like to live life on the edge and lick the batter spoon.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:21 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• yes, samonello. But that's why I meant having known someone or a documented case of, for example," little Billy licked the raw cookie dough and he later died from samonella and nothing else was found to be contaminated."
    thanks moms :)
    Bearsjen

Comment by Bearsjen (original poster) at 6:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2011