Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A little vocabulary help please?

English is not my first language and my son asked me what the difference is between the words "house" and "manor". When do we use the owrd "manor"?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (9)
  • A manor house or fortified manor house is a country house, which has historically formed the administrative centre of a manor (see Manorialism), the lowest unit of territorial organization in the feudal system in Europe. The term is sometimes applied to country houses which belonged to gentry families, as well as to grand stately homes, particularly as a technical term for minor late medieval fortified country houses intended more for show than for defence.


    Answer by idaspida at 6:19 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

  • Manor has the connotation (or feeling) of being a large or fancy residence, much like a mansion. A house is a normal single family home.

    Answer by scout_mom at 6:19 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

  • yep, what they said...

    Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:20 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

  • I agree with what has been said also.

    Answer by zbee at 6:22 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

  • Generally 'house' is a building where one family lives --not necessarily (sometimes it applies to duplexes, or someone's own domicile in an apartment block), but generally the 'usual' size for a 'normal' family.

    A manor is generally a home that has extensive estates, and is built on a scale that says 'wealthy' more than 'normal' --servants' quarters, or additional cottages on the property, a ballroom, a drawing room, guest bedrooms, the 'family' wing and a guest wing... et cetera.

    Answer by LindaClement at 6:22 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

  • So, if you have one of these fancy houses do you normally say "I'll see you back at home" or "I'll see you back at the manor"?

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:26 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

  • Unless that place has the word "manor" in the name, I don't think I have ever used it to just refer to a large house.

    Where I live, it is not commonly used to refer to a grand house.

    Answer by layh41407 at 6:27 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

  • A manor is: the main house or mansion on an estate, plantation and usually a British term. I'm very familiar with the term manor, but I don't think I've ever heard it used in everyday language, at least not around here. (Minnesota). If anyone used manor, they would be teased, hahahah!

    Answer by SandyHack at 6:50 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

  • Thank you ladies!!! :)

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:53 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.