She wouldnt serve me a soda.. ( posted in Due in Dec.)

I went to lunch today with my aunt, cousin and SIL at a local pizza joint today. The owner was working. We ordered our food and was ordering drinks and I ordered a large DR. Pepper. She said no you are pregnant in my restaurant I will not serve caffeine to pregnant women. You can have Sierra Mist or Root beer. I was thinking what the hell i am a paying customer. If my Aunt hadnt invited me I would have left. My mom used to work their so yes I know the lady but damn I am 27 years old and can make my own decisions on what I want to drink. No I dont over due the caffeine . I usually have a cup of hot tea in morning and a glass of tea or can of pop in the afternoon. My mom says she will do that to any pregnant lady , even if she doesnt know them. Has anyone had this happen

tdawn_21

Asked by tdawn_21 at 8:39 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Pregnancy

Level 4 (-22 Credits)
  • Never and it was quite rude of the owner to tell you what you can/cant drink. I would have been so upset that I would have left.
    aiden1337

Answer by aiden1337 at 8:41 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• No it hasn't happened to me, and like you, I don't over do it on caffeine or anything either. Depending on what study you listen the "safe" limit for caffeine lies somewhere between 150 and 300mg a day. A cup of coffee has between 100-150mg and soda has less than half that. Either way, I really wouldn't be too offended or upset though, we really shouldn't have the empty calories and caffeine anyway. Is it her place, probably not, but I think her intentions were good.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:44 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• u know tea has caffeine too lol... unless ur buying the caffeine free
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Nope; and I don't care whether I knew the lady or not, I would tell her to mind her own friggin business, and I will drink what I damn well please... seriously, it's bad enough she wants to dictate what you should/should not be doing, but to mess with a pregnant lady... not smart!!!!

If it were me, my ass would have told her she could keep her damn food and I would have walked out...
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 8:51 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• her restaurant = her right. just like some gas stations won't sell cigs or beer to pregnant women --even if they say it isnt for them.
    trentntats

Answer by trentntats at 9:38 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• WOW.........she had no right to do that.
    SuperMommy0212

Answer by SuperMommy0212 at 10:13 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Well if she has the right to refuse to serve the soda, I am suuuure she didn't refuse the lovely empty calories in her pizza will the greasy meat and a pie of carbs... so her point is moot... carbs = sugar, so what's the point?
    Anonymous

• No-- They can only legal refuse to serve you alcohol. They can even sell you cigarrettes.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 12:56 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I didnt say anything. I dont know why. I said I will have a dr pepper.She said no you are pregnant in my restaurant I will not serve caffeine to pregnant women. You can have Sierra Mist or Root beer. I kinda laughed like she was joking and said I will ahve a doctor pepper and she sadi no you will have a mist or a root beer. I just said give me a mist. I didnt feel like arguing although the more I think about it the more mad I get. I should ahve walked out but I was with people and I didnt want to ruin their meal too.
    tdawn_21

Answer by tdawn_21 at 1:01 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I read this in the group! (I'm due Dec. 20th)

I would've gotten pissed and walked out, to be completely honest. I'll be DAMNED if someone refuses to serve me. If I take my bloated in-pain third trimester self into a restaurant, I expect good service. It's not like you asked for something alcoholic! Gahhh!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:19 PM on Nov. 13, 2008