I just found out that my new neighbor just got released from a 20 year sentence for MURDER?!?!!?!?!???

the very nice lady next door just moved her 37 year old son in with her. SHE said he just got home from college. Her HUSBAND (also 37) confided in my husband that he actually just got released from a 20 year sentence. (he was locked up as a minor at 17)
1st why is the wife lying to us? 2nd we've been told he's a low life, won't work, and does not know how to act in public and around people now. We have 2 young children. They will not let him go outside, no one has seen his face, they won't tell us his name, or introduce him.... What the hell? I would love to know the circumstances - and what exactly happened. I mean if you can kill someone at all - theres a crazy factor. I also know it was with an unregistered firearm.... What would you doooooo????????

Also - my other neighbor on our other side just had someone try to break in while she was home - and I was home. She had me on the phone the whole time. They actually broke her door. We live in a nice neighborhood but this will happen anywhere I know. Idk if it's related. ... We live on a cul de sac and are all VERY CLOSE friends. (excluding the convict obviously).... WHat would you do????

Tiffany8168

Asked by Tiffany8168 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Relationships

• I don't mean to sound mean, but the reason that his mom has kept it quiet is because of reactions like yours!

You've only heard stuff, and truly don't know any of the story, and you are already worked up and have him tried all over again.

Relax. Use daily safety measures like you would anyway. For all you know, the guy down the street is storing dead bodies in his basement.
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 6:54 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• badthats not cool I would somehow find out paper not pring anything about his release ? are they from another state I'm sure if you google around you can figure it out maybe?

jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 6:54 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I know..... I'm not "really " getting worked up.... Just feeling uneasy. I am home alone all day - and I know he is too... How could I not be uncomfotable.... I really am not trying to judge him. He's out for a reason. I'm curious to know how other moms would react....
    Tiffany8168

Comment by Tiffany8168 (original poster) at 6:56 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• When I was a counselor, I worked with a girl who was in the treatment center for felony murder at age 16. She is now a college graduate and girlfriend and contributor to society. Her last name is changed, I'm guessing to erase her past. She is a very sweet, mild-mannered woman who NO ONE would believe would be a felony convict, but she is. Hearing that, one might be afraid to live near her. But if you knew the real story...you'd want to hug her and adopt her and erase all of her pain. Including the fact that she still suffers over the loss of the person who died. I'm sharing because like I said, the neighbor could be safe. He could be dangerous. You just can't know. But try not to jump to conclusions, that's all.
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 6:57 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• His mom didnt tell you because she knew people would react just as you have. It sounds like this guy has served his time and 20 yrs is a long time. He went in as a kid basically, what job skills is he supposed to have again? If you want to know what he did then you will have to ask her candidly and see if she wont tell you more. You can also google his name and see if anything comes up. I know when I was 17 I did alot of stupid crap, but at 37 I was a grown person. Hopefully this guy learned from his mistakes, but other then moving? I dont see what you can do about it.

Answer by gemgem at 6:57 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I don't know his name to google - or where he was incarcerated either... THey are from near by...
    Tiffany8168

Comment by Tiffany8168 (original poster) at 6:57 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I would do some research, you know the parent's names and about when he was convicted and his age at the time. I would find out all I could and keep my kids away from the until I knew the facts. It's my job to protect my kids, not to make a released murder feel at home in my neighborhood.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:57 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Tiffany, my neighbor is a WHACK JOB and I'm scared all the time. Last night at midnight? He was standing outside my other neighbors house, facing it, lighting up a smoke. He lives 3 houses over. CREEPY. I am always just locked in the house, and I've taught my kids that he is a stranger, even if we know his name, and to stay away from him because we don't know if he is safe. I've also emailed a police officer to ask about the guy's public history because of something else the whacko did (drive by our house and give it the finger, while we all played in the neighbor's yard...more than once...) You have reason to be nervous, I do understand.
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 7:00 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• i would do my best to google his parents and him to see what happend. news paper articles, etc. find out the circumstances. he might have killed in self defense or he could have a mental history......who knows. if it was me, id look it up first, or go to the police to see if they can tell you anything about this person. hopefully you called the cops when your friends house got broken into.....
    OurHeartsAwait

Answer by OurHeartsAwait at 7:00 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• you can get an order from the police to have his record. Say that you heard he had an unregistered fire arm too. But get the record, they will want to know why, say your concerns, they will give it to you/
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:01 PM on Jan. 16, 2011