How old was your daughter when she started being interested in makeup?

My 2 year old daughter is always trying to get into my makeup. I know it's because she sees me put it on, but I feel like she's still kind of young to want to play with things like that. I thought about getting her play makeup because I don't want her to ruin mine, but I'm undecided if I should encourage it at this age.

Namaste17

Asked by Namaste17 at 7:00 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• My girls always did the play makeup thing starting around 2ish. But seriously into makeup other then for play? Around 12.

Answer by gemgem at 7:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• My almost 2 year old SON ALWAYS gets into my makeup. So frustrating.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 7:03 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Around 14 months... both of them. They had some play makeup (the ingredients are pretty gross) as well as face paints, watercolour pencils and crayons (which work well as facepaint) and washable markers. After going completely bizarre with it for years (with lots of photographic evidence ) they both took up wearing very minimal makeup regularly in their mid-teens.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:04 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• She started wearing play makeup at 3 w/ my help but we don't use it all the time. Plus she was in dance and they made her wear it at the recitals.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 7:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• boy or girl this is normal at 2. My 2yr old has some play makeup(plastic/not real). And she loves it when I put chapstick on her. And my older 2 boys(5&8) have their own chapstick
    Anonymous

• It's common for kids to get into mom's makeup at that age, even boys will do it....I see nothing wrong with getting her some play makeup to play with...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 7:26 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• My daughter is 10, and if I left it to her, she would wear make up everyday! UGH! She isn't allowed to wear make up yet. I do allow clear lip gloss or maybe a light pink for special occasions, but absolutely no eye make up until she is 13 and knows how to do it well.
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 7:28 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• My daughter was like 3 when she REALLY started wanting to get into my makeup and stuff. I waited until just this past Christmas when she was 5 years to get her her own though. I attempted to 'try' the makeup thing for her 3rd year of Christmas (chapstick and body gloss glitter) and it was such a mistake. I thought that by keeping it up and letting her have it supervised, it would be fine. Nope!! That little turd had like makeup radar and found that stuff one day when I was cleaning the bathroom and had chapstick and glitter gloss smeared from one end of her room to the other! I literally spent over an hour cleaning my little ponies, barbies, littlest pet shops, and various other toys. Now though, she does fine with it. Keeps it in her vanity and uses it properly when her friends come over and stuff.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 7:08 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Thanks everyone, makes me feel better about it!
    Namaste17

Comment by Namaste17 (original poster) at 7:09 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• 2 yr olds love to imitate adults. I think it is fine as long as you keep it under control!
    1911

Answer by 1911 at 7:47 PM on Jan. 16, 2011