What can I do to keep my 2yr old poodle entertained when I need to type?

Molly desires so much attention because I always make the moments fun when I play with her. However, there are moments when I need to be on the computer. She will scratch me until I pay attention. My left arm has just about had enough! I need something else to distract her. She loves playing with her white stuffed rabbits. She loves me throwing them so she can chase them. No other toys interest her. Any ideas?

WalknWithGod

Asked by WalknWithGod at 7:16 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Pets

• I have three large dogs too and they have crates. Really, the doors are left open and they go in there voluntarily...they hate them that much.

I think Molly is obviously seeking attention and wants to be entertained every minute of the day. She needs to learn how to become more independent and some of this will also depend upon her age. I agree with crate training as a means to having a more independent and more confident dog. It is really important to have some separation from your dog, otherwise they will not be able to handle it when the time comes for separation to be necessary.

And you can use a dog bed in your office that you train her to go to with her chews and her toys. If you are firm and consistent in leading her there and making her stay on her bed, she can learn to go to a place quite easily while you work. This is called a station exercise.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:05 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Crate training will make a huge difference to how secure your dog feels, and to ensure she knows that you are (not she is) in charge of the Pack at your house. You put her in her crate when you want peace, privacy or a break. She doesn't decide, because it's your Pack, not hers.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:19 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Maybe try getting a book on dog training. You need to be in charge and it sounds like right now it is the other way around. If she is trained well you can give her a command that she cannot do while playing like lay down or sit. She should be able to sit for a while without being entertained constantly.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 7:27 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I don't believe in putting anything in a crate. You need to train her to obey you without just putting her away. I will guarantee that she will cry of you put her in one. Maybe look into obedience classes so that you can learn what to do with her. A crates just a quick fix.... BTW I have 3 large dogs, and none of them have ever been in a crate, they are well behaved, companions.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:24 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• crates can be safe zones for when you cant take pup with you, My dog is still learning 'time out', he is stuborn and inch his way out at times but I return him to 'time out' spot and reward him when he is leaving us to some quiet time(when I dont have to use time out) he is big and much like a spoiled toddler, wants almost constant attention, jealous when someone else gets more attention,-easiest way to handle him is Before my time,- to give him alot more attention/play session then rub down then let him know its either Lo turn for mom time or that its time to 'settle'.---good luck.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 8:25 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• i hate the use of crates, how would you like being confined to a small safe like that? so id try chews or healthy treats and work with her of 'stay' and things like that
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:02 AM on Jan. 18, 2011