My Blue Border Collie about licks my guest to death

Sterling loves when we have visitors. She wants to be the center of attention with them. She will try getting their attention first by pawing them, then licking them to death! I know my friends say, "Its alright." But I can tell by their body language when they've had enough. Anything I can do so I don't have to put her in her crate?

puppy

WalknWithGod

Asked by WalknWithGod at 7:20 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Pets

• Your blue border collie is confused about who is in charge of your Pack. Or, rather, someone has indicated to your blue border collie that she is in charge of your Pack.

She shouldn't be.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:21 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I put my dog away when I have company. Its just a respect thing for me. No one wants a dog licking them! Lol just being honest...
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 7:23 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Our 3 large dogs are very well behaved when company comes because we have taught them to. A crates just a quick fix, not a solution. I wouldn't put my children in a crate so I would never put a pet in one. An obedience class might help teach you to be a good pet parent... Also work with your pet when friends come over. You have to be consistent, and the one in charge... GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:28 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• It's just not allowed in my house. Most people dont even know my border collie is even in the house. Even the puppy pretty much knows better than that now. Border collies are smart and know how to get away with things. Dont underestimate their intelligence!

All of my dogs get serious discipline if they put a paw up on someone without being asked, or licking at ALL. (Licking is a pet peeve of mine!). All i have to do is growl Trip's name and he's in his bed and i dont see him for an hour, at least! Tia (the puppy) is still learning, so i have to physically move her from whatever she's doing still. I have to keep a very close eye on her, which can be very distracting when you have company, but it wont take long! Like i said, BC's are SMART! As long as you're consistent with the rules, they're good to go!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 7:38 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Yes you need to train Sterling so you can have her out without the nuisance. There really isn't an in-between, so you can't have her licking and pawing *a little* It just has to stop.

Not allowed in my house either, we have 3 large dogs. Put Sterling on a lead for awhile and tell her to lay down and stay when the guests come. Momma Turbo is right about the bcs. They are sensitive and very smart and very willing to work for you. You just need to be clear to Sterling, and very, very consistent. She can learn to behave without having to be sent to her crate every time.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:17 AM on Jan. 17, 2011