Is anybody surprised by old children's movies?

I've bought a lot of Disney movies and other "classics" for my daughter that I used to enjoy when I was a child. When we watch one, I'm always a little surprised by something that is done or said that is definitely not politically correct and I think "different times". Usually it is a broad stereotype for a group of people. Sometimes it is something the children are allowed to do. Does anybody else pick up on this when they watch movies they watched when they were a child?

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 9:05 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Just for Fun

• What I've noticed is that the old Disney movies are incredibly violent. I won't let it stop me from showing them to my kid, but I did notice it.

I have a friend that was BEYOND DISTURBED that none of the Princesses have any moms or positive mother figures...
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 9:23 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Ohhhh, yes...Pinocchio comes to mind first actually. We have quite a few of the older movies but don't watch them very often. My kids know that smoking and drinking is looked down on, I just don't like it being glorified in a cartoon.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:14 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Well not Disney but along those lines...Rudolph the red nose reindeer...Santa is just freakin mean. I never questioned this as a kid but now when my kids watch it I think to myself OMG he is down right scary.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:36 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Wow! I hadn't even really noticed that none of the princesses have mothers, but its true! lol...Ariel was raised by her dad, Cinderella only had her evil step mother, Belle just had her father, Sleeping Beauty was raised by the fairies in the woods and even when she was with her parents in the very beginning the father was the focus...crazy!

I'm surprised more about the racial things I see...Aladdin isn't exactly representing Arabic population well...portrays them all as evil cons and thieves, Peter pan and the "Ingins" was actually what spawned this question this morning.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:10 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Reneek, OMG I just was thinking about Pinoccio. To me it seems like the moral is "you better listen to your parents or you will be taken into slavery" Now that I am older it is kinda creepy. Especially since the characters are weird men who use candy and fun stuff to lure the boys away.
    hotmama404

Answer by hotmama404 at 11:20 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• You will love this article on cracked.com. It's the 9 Most Racist Disney Characters I almost died laughing while reading it!!!

AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 11:22 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• omg, i know what you mean like i don't want my 5 year old to watch Bambi and Dumbo b/c they loose their mothers, not something i want to explain to a small child. and Rudolph the red nose reindeer, we watched that last year together and even my son was like Santa is mean to Rudolph doesn't he know you're not supposed to make fun of people.
    Julia0331

Answer by Julia0331 at 11:31 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My two year old likes the original Care Bears movie, but I have to FF through huge sections of it--it's actually pretty creepy and violent. But as for those remaining 30 minutes--my daughter thinks they're classic.
    sariejack

Answer by sariejack at 11:50 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Even with some of the negative...has anyone noticed how most if not all the villains are usually green, smoking, pale, and usually have sour looks on their faces?? I would think that would encourage children to not want to smoke or be bad because they might look like them.
    TheDragn01

Answer by TheDragn01 at 12:28 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My son loves the movie Stuart Little but when I watched it with him a few weeks back I couldn't believe my ears when I heard one of the "bad cats" cussing!
    happymommy284

Answer by happymommy284 at 1:50 PM on Nov. 13, 2008