What are some tips to get my daughter, who is 3, to do 'number 2' on the potty?

Megansmama1224

Asked by Megansmama1224 at 7:36 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It takes a lot of time, literally, sitting there with them. Read books. I actually had to sit the little potty in the livingroom and turn on my son's favorite show when I could see he was ready to poop. He sat there, got nice and relaxed and out it came.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 7:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Wait.

Everything you do that will coerce, force or 'praise' her into behaving the way you want to will distort the value and importance of her learning to listen to her body's cues.

In 6 years, no one will give you or her a prize for being the earliest or best or fastest or most obedient toilet pooper on the block. It's not even 'who cares in 100 years' --who cares in 8 months?

Leave it. You can do lasting psychological damage, getting into power struggles with where, how and when she poops. Stay out of it.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:41 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Try the new potty book! My daughter read this to one of our grands and it worked! My daughter made it fun and everytime she went on the potty they would do the potty dance, even when she did'nt just as long as she made the effort!
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 7:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I bribed my oldest! It worked too! He always got a treat for going poop on the potty. I'll never forget the day he saw DH going and yelled across the house "MOM! Daddy gets a treat for poopin'!" LOL!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 7:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2011