How do you feel about the homeless veterans?

Personally it really bothers me that there is not more help from the government that they served, some for many years. I wish there was more the government would do and I help out when ever I can.
(I worked at a homeless shelter for veterans for 4yrs before I moved)

Please no bashing or I will delete this question.

momma2JD

Asked by momma2JD at 9:08 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• many times it is the mental illness associated with being a veteran that causes the homelessness, that and alcohol. so it is even more frustrating because homelessness is not just the only problem. i agree the government has not done enough for the veterans, but there is a perfect example of how veteran's health care has been taken care of by the government. government health care for it's own, at it's finest.
    JumpingHoops

Answer by JumpingHoops at 9:11 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I think it's terrible. They deserve much better than that!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:16 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I know that even on the base here there are active military living in their cars because they cant afford housing....meanwhile housing is being opened up to civilians. Seriously messed up!
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 9:17 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• It's horrible, they have fought for our country and they aren't getting the help they need.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:54 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• i agree with sammiesmom.
    we need to be doing more to help those that have served for our country.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:01 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I know that even on the base here there are active military living in their cars because they cant afford housing..

What are they doing with their housing allowance(BAH)? If they live on base, then their BAH should cover rent & utlities. If you goto Family support on base, they will help you. If you are struggling. Something tells me they are in trouble with other financial issues (credit cards, etc) if they are not using thier BAH to provide shelter...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:22 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• PEOPLE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE: You can donate time and money to help veterns. I would encourage all to do the same. If you or your spouse are a Government Employee, you can have $ go automatically from your paycheck to the combined Federal Campaign. Here are a few we work with/donate to:
    Fisher House Foundation
    Special Operations Warrior Foundation
    National Military Family Association
    Disabled American Veterans Charitable Service Trust
    Also, there is
    Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:26 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• What are they doing with their housing allowance(BAH)? If they live on base, then their BAH should cover rent & utilities. If you go to Family support on base, they will help you. If you are struggling.

If you want live somewhere nice off base, you are going to have to cut money elsewhere cause your BAH & BAS are not going to cover it. When I was active w/1 dependent, I made close to 2500/month & below were my bills.
    momma2JD

Answer by momma2JD at 11:16 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• continued from above....

As for family services, they gave me a loan to help fix my car but they take some back out of each pay check. The only thing that helped is when I moved on base & got things at the Airmen's Closet (you get stuff for free like clothes, canned goods, furniture).

my bills every month for a 2bdrm 1.5 bath apartment. Rent/water/power: 1020 Car & Insurance: 480 Daycare: 560/month Phone: 100 other expenses: 200-300 (depending on gas prices, grocery bill, clothes) total amount going out - 2360 (leaving me less then 200/month)
    momma2JD

Answer by momma2JD at 11:17 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I am curious, every time I hear the word veteran lately, I hear "homeless veteran". Does anyone know what percentage of veterans are actually homeless? Or are we just hearing about a tragic few? I am not bashing. I am really wondering why these american servants are homeless.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:25 AM on Nov. 13, 2008