Will pumping cause nipple confusion?

If I want to breast feed for the first few weeks or months, then start to pump. But still switch from bottle to breast will that cause confusion?

Kelli1012

Asked by Kelli1012 at 7:47 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My children were fine with it.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:55 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• i pumped, that's not the problem. my son would not usually take a bottle though. the closer to a real boob you can find in a nipple, the easier it is
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 8:10 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Not if you start right away.
    marcosmommy3706

Answer by marcosmommy3706 at 8:10 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• You're supposed to bf only for the first 6 weeks before introducing any other nipple (bottle, etc) to avoid nipple confusion. If you're bf but you give a bottle to soon, then yes, that could lead to confusion. So don't worry about pumping for a while, or bottles, just get used to bf first for a while.
    Anonymous

• every child is different but like anon said for the first 6 weeks no bottles or paci should be given in order to establish breastfeeding. and then you can slowly introduced the bottle. (be warned that some bf wont take bottles) they are bottles that made specifically for bf babies or if baby wont take bottle a sippy cup with out the valve works well also.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:07 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• As long as you only offer the breast for the first 6 weeks. Pumping is a pain though just using the breast is way way way easier. Why do you want to only pump after a few months?
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:36 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I don't want to ONLY pump. I would like to do both. But if it causes confusion I won't do it.
    Kelli1012

Comment by Kelli1012 (original poster) at 10:17 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• It might, it might not. Every baby is different.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:31 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• The pumping itself won't cause confusion. Pump from the start if you want, and freeze the milk, but hold off on any bottle feeds for a while to help avoid confusion.
    Anonymous