pregnancy and pain killers?

I just got out of the hospital for kidney stones. My doctor prescribed me percocet, and I'm 38 weeks pregnant. I took it for 2 days in the hospital and for 2 days at home. I passed the stone today thank God.....such a relief...so therefore I won't take that medication anymore....but i do not want my son born with a narcotic pain killer in his system. The ob assured me it would be fine and i've done some research and read that this particular medication should be out of me within 3-10 days.....is this the same for baby? should i be concerned? I'm 38 weeks and a half now...baby's due in 11 days.......

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I would think your baby didn't absorb as much of the drug as you did.... you'd have to find out the half life of the drug to be sure how long it will take before it leaves your system for sure though.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:52 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I think your baby should be ok, I dont know too much about this kind of stuff but you took the medication for such a short time and your OB thinks its fine, you have my well wishes and Good luck!
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 7:59 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• if you don't need them don't take them
    firelites

Answer by firelites at 8:04 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• thank you guys so much! I'm a huge worry wort anyway...and my husband kept telling me the ob wouldn't prescribe me anything unsafe, but I was still scared.....I feel a little relieved now.....like i said I would feel horrible if my baby were born with pain meds in his system! Like you bobby, I don't know much about this sort of thing and the searches i did on the internet turned up a lot of addiction sights and women abusing drugs while pregnant! this i don't understand.....I would have never even taken the medication if the pain hadn't been so excrutiating! But kidney stones are horrible.....Thanks again guys!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:05 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I'm not taking them now that I don't need them......
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:06 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• drink a lot of water that will help it get gone faster
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:39 AM on Jan. 17, 2011