Do your kids go to summer camp? If so, how old are they and how long do they go?

Our 11 year old was asked to go along with a friend to church camp, but the girl is saying they stay for 3 weeks - I've never heard of a camp that went that long and I'm not sure about letting her go. Am I the only one who thinks this is too long?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 8:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• No I could never afford it. 3 weeks does seem long though.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 8:04 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I worked at a 7.5 week residential summer camp for boys... I am on their board of directors now. A 7.5 week session is very common. Personally I don't think it's to long... we do great work with the kids in that time frame. Personally I think the 3 week camps are a week or two to short. But different times work for different folks. If you have some specific questions PM my any time!! ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:08 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I used to go to camps for 6-8 weeks at a time. I thought 3 weeks was short. It all depends on what your camp experiences are. I will miss the kids hugely if they go, but it is such a wonderful experience that I could never give them if they stay at home.

My oldest is turning 13 and has asked to go to a sleep away camp. I have to figure out how to afford it, but I think it will be great for him. DD is 11 and thinking about it, but isn't quite sure. She'd go to a different camp, with her bff. I know people who work at both camps and I think it will be a positive experience for them, even if they do get homesick.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:08 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Thanks, Crafty! I guess I'm with the mindset that Girl Scout camp is a week at the most and my kids usually do the two or three night option. LOL I'm a mother hen, but they are homebodies too. (c:
    scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 8:09 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• My son went for the first time last year. He went for a week, well 5 days. It just wasn't that long for him, they only got a couple of hours on each of the activities, so they didn't really even have enough time to gain any confidence on them.
    This year they are offering a 2 week class, but it is $900, so I am not sure we will be able to swing that. So he will go to the week long session again.

I was really nervous about it last year, but he had a wonderful time.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:10 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• LOL I hear Ya Scout-mom! I'm quite a homebody too. My Dad directed Boy Scout camps when I was young, so I had to spend summers there until I was 13. The when I was 18 I went to work at a non-scout camp. I have seem some amazing things done for the kids in the longer time frames - the lengthof time really helps with building a true community at the camp. Some of my best and most trusted friends are from camp. I grew a tremendous amount at camp, as a counselor. IT really is a great experience for all ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:17 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I never liked the idea of sending my kids to camp. 3 weeks does seem a bit excessive, too.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• My 13 and 15 year old go to a church camp for a week. My 10 year old goes for three days. 3 weeks seems a little long but if my kids wanted to go I know they could handle it.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 8:29 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• At 11, my daughter went for two weeks; at 12 she started going for four weeks.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2011