going to buy an iron and a sewing machine..what do i need to look for?

i ahve NEVER purchased either one fo these things! what do i need to look for?

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 8:19 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• What you pay for one depends on how much you plan on using it. You can get a basic sewing machine for around $100-$125 that has reverse, straight and zig zag stitches that you can adjust length of stitiches. For A first time I would not buy anything but a table top instead of a cabinet. Irons..pretty much the same thing. My regular iron I paid $70 years ago. It is a Rowenta and very nice. I iron with it all the time. I also have a separate steam iron that is professional grade. It was way more than $70 but again, I use it all the time. For occaisional ironing you should probably look for a moderate price around $20, a teflon soleplate unless you are positive you don't want one. Don't buy an iron you can use water with that has steam settings..there is no point otherwise. I hope this helps.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:26 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Can't* Don't buy an iron you CAN"T use water with..sorry
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:28 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I'm going to send you a message with the hand out that I give to my sewing students when they ask me how to shop for a sewing machine. As for the iron, I agree, Rowenta is my favorite...make sure you have steam, and I like it when they have automatic shut off, and are self cleaning.

Happy Sewing.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:49 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• well it depends on what you want from the items and how much you are willing to pay
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:46 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I bought an inexpensive Singer sewing machine at Target. Less than $100 and has basic ability and very light weight.
    I have a Rowenta iron I got at Tuesday Morning, steam, spray and a great iron for $50.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 7:17 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• just need to use my sewing machine tomake some pillows, and to make some dresses n skirt for my kids, iron will just be used to iron on apliques and letters to shirts. make hems and do my husbands acu's
    sandraberke

Comment by sandraberke (original poster) at 8:21 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I have both of these things, but I don't know what to tell you so I will give you a bump.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:27 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• As far as sewing machines, I would look up different dealers in your area. Go in, ask questions, like if they have a trade in/up program, ask to try the machines that interest you. Then find the make/model that best suits your needs and price range. I paid $1400 for my Pfaff nearly 9 years ago. It is an excellent machine and I use it almost daily on week days.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:38 PM on Jan. 16, 2011