if you have a toddler still in a crib...

do you let them play with a toy before bedtime as long as they are quiet? or when its bed time its bedtime. i have been letting my dd go to bed with some kind of toy. once it was elmo sing along and then tonight it was blocks. it started off a long time ago with a book.

i mean she is not crying and she eventually goes to sleep no problem there just curious

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 8:20 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son son does have a stuffed toy in his bed. He might play with it before he falls asleep. I am not sure.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 8:22 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Nope. He's allowed to stay up and play as long as he wants, but usually around 9 pm he starts whining and wants to go to bed. I lay him down and he's asleep within minutes.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:36 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• In my house when it bedtime for dd its bedtime.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 8:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• My kids have always taken a toy or two with them to bed, including while in a crib. It's something to occupy them, not only before they go to sleep, but also if they wake up in the middle of the night or earlier than me in the morning. It saves my sanity, and doens't take away from their sleep at all. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:50 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• My dd goes to bed with her 2 barneys but she knows its bedtime when she is layed down in that crib. :) Hey whatever works works.
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 8:54 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• My dd still nurses herself to sleep, we are in the middle of weaning , though, so hopefully that won't last much longer.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:04 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• My 2 yr old has to have her leo, a stuffed animal leopard she had sinse she was 10 months. Will not go to sleep without it or go anywhere without, and her pillow-pet.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:24 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• my daughter wont go to sleep with out her blankie and she is very specific. most days there are no toys. but if she is fighting going into the crib i don't mind putting toys in the crib to entertain her.
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• My 2 year old is in a bed, but he still takes his Thomas and Percy trains into bed with him. He's quiet and laying in his bed, I don't mind if he's entertaining himself for a few minutes.

Answer by missanc at 9:06 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I think what you are doing is great! My twins go to bed with stuffed animals that light up and play music. They play with them for up to 30 minutes before falling asleep. I think it is wonderful that yours is falling asleep on her own. A toy doesn't matter. The only thing I ensure is mine have a soft toy. it is funny because sometime in the morning we hear their toys go off. They wake up and start playing. It is a wonderful thing to go in their room and greet them as they smile at me. It sure bets a kid that wakes up screaming crying or goes to bed screaming and crying. Great job!
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 9:11 AM on Jan. 17, 2011