• In the Spotlight:

If your children grew up to be overweight...

How would you feel?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• If they'd been slender their whole lives until some particular age, I'd have their health checked and then wonder what "thing" happened so that I can try to help them. Otherwise, I love overweight people as much as skinny.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:48 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Like they were part of the family, like it or not, it's in our genes.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Thank u scout mom!!! I agree!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 8:52 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I would love them unconditionally, but since i am the only overweight person in my family, it is an exception not a rule.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 8:53 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• The same, something in the genes if they were not changing their eating habits and were still healthy. Something may be stressing her/him and they've chgd their eating habits. But, I 'd love my kids if they turned blue in the face and stood on their heads. I had a DD killed, right now I'd take her back fat or skinny, she was only 100 lbs & 5' 3 " when she was killed, way too skinny, but the most beautiful little gal to me, and I miss her with every bone in my body. Love that child for who they are, and have her/him seek help if it's a health problem.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I would be concerned for their health but I wouldn't love or feel any differently about them.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:00 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• i would love my children, no matter how they looked!! if they wanted help, i would try to help however i can, whether that be a working out buddy, or someone to walk with, or just to talk to..i would do whatever it took to help, if thats whats they wanted.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 9:03 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I would do anything I could to help them get to a healthy weight. Although, I don't see that happening in my children since we all eat pretty healthy and I control what they eat. It's not a fact of loving them or not. Of course I would love my child - that's why I would help them get to a healthy weight. Being overweight is not healthy; and I'm sorry if that offends people, it shouldn't but I know it does.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 9:04 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• like others, id be concerned for their health, but i love my little boy with all of my heart and no matter what, that would never ever change and that goes for any future children too.
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 9:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I wouldn't really 'feel' anything about it except concern for potential health issues. My best friend is very overweight and I worry about her healthwise all the time- she already has joint issues and high blood pressure and she is in her mid-thirties. I don't judge her weight, but I want her to be around until we are old and grey and sharing a room in the nursing home, so it makes me worry!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:34 PM on Jan. 16, 2011