Are the dr's always right about how long a person has to live when he/she has cancer?

Just found out yesterday that my father-in-law has cancer and dr told him he has 3 months to 3 years left to live.

jennlynn121079

Asked by jennlynn121079 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Health

• No they're absolutely NOT right. Some times people can even get cured from supposedly terminal cases of cancer. Do not trust or rely on what the doctors say... KEEP fighting it! Never lose hope.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 9:03 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• When my mothers uncle was diagnosed w/cancer he was told he had 3 months to livebut lived for 3 years after he was diagnosed, Im sorry your fil& your family are going through this.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 9:04 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• No, the doctor's cannot know....they are going by averages.....but every person is a unique individual, and it is possible for your FIL to live much longer if he chooses......he needs to get a 2nd opinion if he can, and also do some research and see who is the best doctor for his particular cancer....or perhaps going to a cancer center of America place.....Look into nutrition to help him fight it along with the treatments he is prescribed....prayer and meditation helps.....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:05 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• No not always..... my FIL has cancer his doctor gave him 3 months. They went to one of the cancer treatment centers they told him while it would be terminal they could give him more time if he wanted. It has been 2 years now sadly there isn't anything left to do and his time is nearing the end but he did get more time then the orginal drs gave him.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:06 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• No
    It can go either way. Some live shorter, some live longer--even years longer. I know someone who was told 6 months to a year and lived 2 years longer than predicted.
    It all depends on treatment and the individuals out look on life. There really IS something to the power of positive thinking.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Doctors are never always right.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:08 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• No they aren't!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 9:13 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• not always
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Of course not.
    When I was a kid my aunt was diagnosed and told 3-6 months. She lived another 3 years. During that time her husband was also diagnosed and told 6-12 months and was gone within 3 (but he refused treatment after awhile because he said it wasn't worth it).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:15 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• They told my dad 6 months to a year. He died about 3 weeks later. :(

And I've heard lots of stories going the other way.

It's just a guesstimate.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:19 PM on Jan. 16, 2011