how can i encourage my 2 year old to use the potty?

LaDyMatRiiX

Asked by LaDyMatRiiX at 9:09 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Make it interesting. Every so often, I would take my daughter into the bathroom and sit her on her potty. I would sit on the big potty (lid down) and read her the book Once Upon a Potty (girl version). It is an engaging little story that takes long enough for her to do what she needs to do. Her focus was taken off the pressure of having to go and she was relaxed enough to go when she needed to. The book does describe the body's potty parts, but very tastefully. You can buy it at any major book store.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• never push first of all, thatll stop the process right then and there. I show my son his potty and sit him down, if he gets up right away, i let him go, if he doesnt and goes potty i dance and sing and clap and look like a total idiot to be honest lol. I also give a special treat. Does your child have any 3-5 year old family members or friends? If so bring them over, your child will see them use the potty and want to mimic them. Thats how my son became potty trained anyway. At 15 months old he was potty trained all day and had an occasional accident. Now mind you, he lost interst but that will happen and i still offer the potty and he is getting back in the groove again at almost 2. Good luck!
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 10:54 PM on Jan. 16, 2011