How can I help with separation anxiety in a 4 year old?

I'm custodial grandmother - we got our DGD at 4 months old. She was born with a cleft lip and palate and has been put to sleep 8 times.

We have been dealing with separation anxiety since a surgery at 18 months that was not handled correctly.

At this point I can take her to preschool for 3 hours and she's ok with that. I can leave her with her grandfather, her aunt, her great-great grandmother but that's it.

The worse part is night time. She has to be touching me to stay asleep. If I put her in her bed or she goes to sleep in her bed she wakes up terrified if I'm not there near her. If she sleeps with us (the only time we get any sleep) she has to be touching me to sleep.

Any non-traumatic ways to help her deal with her fear of me leaving her?

Thanks!

remomingit

Asked by remomingit at 9:41 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Try explaining that something is yours and you give it to her to sleep with..... Like a blanket, your shirt, something you keep on your bed.
    miraclemom914

Answer by miraclemom914 at 1:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2011