am i feeding my baby the right amount?

my daughter is 10 weeks old. she was a preemie, she was only 4lbs 14 oz when she was born, so techinally shes smaller than most babies her age. im worried that she may not be getting enough to eat.. when i breastfeed her she usually feeds on 1 side for about 30 min and she seems fine.. then about a hour later she'll feed on the other side for about 20 min and then she'll go to sleep for 3-4 hours.. but ever since i started back to work its been completly off.. since ive had to pump and bottle it for her... she seems to need more. i pump all day long and it only gives me enough milk for her for about a 9 hr period.. does anyone know what the right amount for a preemie baby at 11 weeks should be?

NaomisMama1201

Asked by NaomisMama1201 at 10:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just feed her what she needs. BTW a pump can't empty your breasts the way a baby does. Is there a way to nurse her while you are at home and only pump wile you are at work. I hate to say this but you may need to supplement so that she is getting enough of the nutrients and calories that she needs to grow properly.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:28 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• If she was formula fed there would be a recommendation on an average number of ounces she should have daily, but for breastfed babies it's just feed on demand. As long as she is happy, sleeping well, wetting 6-8 diapers a day, then she's getting enough. And if you are working a normal day, then pumping enough for a 9-hour period should be plenty if you are still nursing at home, which I highly recommend. Nursing every chance you get will help increase your supply and help you keep up with her needs. If you can even get your sitter to meet you for lunch and nurse on your lunch break that will probably help a lot, too. When in doubt, you can always call a lactation consultant; the ones at the hospital where you delivered will be agreat source of free advice and they are very knowledgeable.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:27 AM on Jan. 17, 2011