How you save on laundry budget?

Do you make your own laundry/soap/detergent? If so, how has it saved you money monthly? It use to be me and my partner, now we have two toddlers. And now we have to wash bedding, towels, our clothes and other stuff. On top of that, we pay like $1.50 a wash and $1.00 a load. Sometimes the cost for that is $40.00 a month. I am kinda considering tub washing in those big tote containers However, not all the time. It would be too much. I would like to hear your suggestions, ideas and feedback.

ChildGoddess

Asked by ChildGoddess at 10:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Money & Work

• I have made my own laundry soap. I have been hesitant to use it on clothes, but use it on blankets, towels, and sheets and it has helped me save a lot on regular purchased laundry soap.
    Anonymous

• Make my own laundry soap and hang things on the line even in the winter.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 10:15 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• 1.00 a dry i mean
    ChildGoddess

Comment by ChildGoddess (original poster) at 10:16 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• i make my own soap! its like $4 for borax and $4 for washing soda both last 4 months, then i buy a 10pack of cheap soap around $6 and all that last me 4 months! so about $2 and some change for soap that last a family of 6 a month! totally worth it when we were buying whatever was on sale and it was $6 or so and only lasted 2 weeks! i love making my own it takes 20min so its so worth it! i even make my own softener!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Any chance you could buy a washer or dryer?

Our neighbors didn't have one for a while and we were more than willing to let them come over and use ours. do you haave someone that would let you do laundry there?
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:09 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I usually buy my stuff in bulk at Sam's! Can a relative help you out with your laundry? I used to do my daughters' and her families' laundry until she was able to buy her own.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:34 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Yes, I make my own-
    Borax, washing soda, grated bar soap-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:05 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• It would be worth the investment to buy a stackable washer/dryer (if your lease allows this). Check Craigslist; you may be able to buy a fairly new one

Answer by rkoloms at 6:28 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I buy the big jug of organic laundry soap from Trader Joes. It costs $8.99 and lasts me 3-4mos. I have to pay money to do laundry so I hang up delicates, sweaters & blouses to air dry. I use lavendar dryer pouches that I buy at Trader Joe's. There are 4 per pkg. they are about $4 and each one lasts about 10 loads.I do not use these for towels & wash cloths.( Softener makes them lkess absorbent.)

I use less detergent then it says on the bottle because the agitation & water are what get your clothes clean. You don't need a lot of detergent unless something is really filthy. I only use hot water for underwear, socks, towels and bedding.

Consider taking blankest, towels & sheets to a laundromat with the huge machines that way you pay less to wash & dry those things.
    sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 12:33 AM on Jan. 18, 2011