how come plus size stuff is always "exclusively online"

Just something i noticed while looking for christmas gifts

sierra_617

Asked by sierra_617 at 9:30 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Shopping

• Where? I know Old Navy or Gap is like that -- they had or have a few stores with plus stuff, but I guess they just don't have enough demand to put it in every store? I don't really understand why not, considering the average woman is a size 16. Maybe because more of their market is young kids and misses? I'm not sure what area you're in - but here in DFW we have a decent amount of stores that have plus-sized in person.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 12:25 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• "Because most plus size women are more comfortable shopping online", is apparently the reason. Thats not MY reason, thats the reason I was told at a trade show for the fashion industry. I asked the same question of a clothing line executive. Totally not fair, IMO... because I hate buying things without trying them on. I am a 16 in some stores and a 8 in others.. so there is no logical reasoning behind not stocking all products in store other than to cut costs or low demand. I know when I was heavier I didnt shop as much because I was really down on myself.. so there likely is less demand.

LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 12:38 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Being in the retail business and owning my own boutique, there are certain items or sizes that rarely sell. Instead of buying them and losing the money later when they don't sell, they offer them exclusively online and make an agreement with the manufacturer to purchase only when needed. For example, mine is a children's boutique. I have NO idea why, but boys clothes after size 2T DO NOT SELL! AT ALL! So we don't order them. We can get them by the piece with an agreement with the manufacturer, but normally you have to buy the outfits by 6's or 12's, meaning 6 of the same item/size or 12. I would NEVER do that with boys clothes. You lose tons of money.
    momdadn4

Answer by momdadn4 at 1:15 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Old Navy and Gap have plus size online and Old Navy has some plus size in the store but only up to size 20. I Shop for my clothes at walmart or target because both stores carry plus size and they have really nice stuff and they also see it online too. You can also check out fashion bug, lanye brant, catherines, dots and sears. I can't shop online for clothes because everything is shape different and also I rather try it on in the store.
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 9:17 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I work in retail and I actually work for gap/ gap kids and they have nothing in my size in the store but I shop there for my son and for my friends or family becasue of of them can find something in the gap.
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 9:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2008