Reading to children

How often do you read to your children? Do you wish you read to them more?

SandyHack

Asked by SandyHack at 10:22 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• In my dream world where I am the perfect mother I read them 3 books everyday.  In reality they get one story a night, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:24 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• We've been reading at least SOMETHING every day since he was a few months old. Now, he gets 3 books before bed, and he brings us books throughout the day to read to him. He LOVES books! He's memorized about 10 of his books (he's 2), and it's really cute to hear him "read" aloud!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:12 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• 2 or 3 times a week, but he's only 4 months old. I will DEF read more and more to him as he gets older!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 10:24 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• my hubby reads a story to our dd every night since she was in my belly! lol! its so cute! he reads to her at night and i read to her during the day sometimes!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:26 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I read to my 2 girls every night, depending on what time we get settled into bed we read 2-3 storys. We also go to Story Time at our local libary. Weve been going for about year n half they love it. My oldest has loved books since she was a tiny baby and i think that started it all ..
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I don't read to my children any longer. They don't want me too. But they are now 13, 16, 21, and 21. I read to my 13 year old until about 3 years ago. When he left middle school.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I read to my son for 20-30 minutes a day from the time he was a newborn until he was in 4th grade. 20 minutes a day helps a child develop prereading skills that will last a life time. It teaches them them sounds of letters and words. What a sentence is. How a story works.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• either me or my DH tries to read to him every day. HE loves reading and i def want to do it more than i do, it fosters a good hobby
    sarlove01

Answer by sarlove01 at 10:59 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• reading every day has been homework since half way thru kindergarten...now shes in gr 1..so yaa we TRY and read every night...id say 5-6 nights a week we do..it a struggle tho, she HATES books!! her teacher told me she has never seen a child hate storytime as much as my daughter does..and i dont know why..because i read to her all the time as a baby!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:13 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I read to my son at least 4 nights out of seven. Yes I wish I did it more because I used to do it more. I need to get back on track.
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 10:51 PM on Jan. 16, 2011