Copper IUD

How many of you ladies use a copper IUD as birth control?

Have you experienced heavy periods? I am debating Mirena or Copper IUD, I would prefer the Copper IUD because it is hormone free but im not too thrilled on this whole heavy and longer periods.

mercilove

Asked by mercilove at 10:29 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Health

• i have it. periods are very very heavy sometimes even worse than other times. & i never really had a problem with cramps. but with this i do!! it also seems like when i first got it..it was worse than now. been almost a yr. things have gotten not so painful. but i worry , because all my hair is way thinner than it used to be. dr's say since its not hormonal, it shouldnt cause this. but i trace it back to the time i got this put in. & have found websites that girls are saying the same thing! coincidence? i still dont know. thinking of having it removed. but honestly..its real nice not having to worry about taking a pill, or getting a shot, or having hormones screw u all up. so i guess try it, & see if u have trouble dealin with the periods, & if u have any side effects. cause if u dont, its a great idea. so truly worth trying in my opinion.if that dosent work, i say use the pill!i had normal periods, & no hair loss with those
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 11:10 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• p. s ..if u do try it out, plz stay in touch & let me know how things go! i have been trying to find others that use this form of birth control! but it dosent seem all that common! also, keep in mind everyones body reacts different to everything! dont let the hair thing scare u. theres a good possibility i could have thryoid issues, because i just found out that its very common that thyroid trouble is hard to detect even in blood work. & that is a common problem that causes hair thinning. good luck,
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 11:12 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I have it since May last. Initially i had heavy periods but they subsided within 2-3 months.Now I bleed heavy for 3 days & then spotting for 2 days, earlier I had the same time period for my periods. So nothing has changed for me
    A11

Answer by A11 at 11:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2011