How can they get this much help and do they really need it?

My cousin and her husband have 7 kids between the 2 of them, she has 4, he has 3. For various reasons, all the kids live with them in a 4 bedroom house that they "rent" from my grandparents for almost nothing, just the homeowners insurance and the taxes for the hom (comes to about $300 a month) So they caught a nice break on getting a place to live, that's great for them, my grandparents had a second hom (was my great grandma's before she died) and they can't offord the hoowners insurance and taxes and my cousin and her family were the ones who needed a home, that's great for them but the other day my cousin was telling me how great they were doing. I was suprised because she only works about 30 hours a week at Walmart and gets child support for her 4 kids and her husband is unemployed. I guess she saw that I was suprised to hear that so she started telling me about all the help they are getting. All but 2 of the kids are school aged so the other 5 get free lunch and free breakfast at school, the younger 2 go to daycare 3 days a week for free while her husband doesn't work, they get free home phone service and they are all on medicaid and she said they get almost $1,000 a month in food stamps. I am glad there is help for those who need it but really, do they need that much help? It almost sounds to me like they are being greedy. Her husband says he is looking for a job, maybe he is but he has been out of work for quite a long time. Does this sound right to you? Maybe I just don't understand the system but this seem like a LOT of help to me

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Personally I'm happy that they are getting a lot of help.  It's nice to not be struggling and underneath bills and such.  Whatever helps, more power to them.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:37 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I agree. I am happy that in a time of need, they are able to get the help. Also, if the husband is unemployed and the family is on PA, he is REQUIRED to attend a job club, look for work for a certain amount of hours each week and take "classes" that pertain to job searches, interviewing, resume writing, etc. I had to do it for 40 hours per week. There was a guy in my job class that was unemployed going on 2 years when I started and he was there after I left. It is possible to be out of work in this economy, especially with more companies going out of the US.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:41 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• There are definately flaws in our system, but you should be happy that the kids are being taken care of. They have a house and food and a family that is making sure it stays that way.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 10:45 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• well it sounds like the biggest amount of help is getting a huge place to live from your grandparents. i know that about 3 people usually get $300 a month in food & what do they have..9? so that sounds about right. its not too much food. & what do u expect her to not get child support?? sure her husband sounds lazy & good for nothing, but i guess the only help the state is giving is food?? shes dealing with what she has & obviously not taking advatage of it by blowin money cause if she was, she'd be struggling. ? whats the problem?
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 10:46 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I agree with all! Who knows, u may be in her shoes 1 day??? How would u feel???
    SCAROLINAMOM2

Answer by SCAROLINAMOM2 at 10:58 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Honestly, it's the way the system is designed. They are probably better off with the husband not working. I don't know what his skills are, but just a regular "joe-shmoe" job wouldn't provide all those children with insurance and they would lose most, if not all, of the food stamps. Plus they would be out the expense of him getting back and forth to work, etc....In many cases, the people are just working the system and it isn't right. But that's how the system is set up, so you really can't blame them.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Get your nose out of her business. Be thankful for what you have. This post really strikes my nerves! The system does have it's flaws but it works. Do you know how expensive insurance on all the children would cost?? And that expense is not their fault! It's a shame how high living is. Be thankful for what you have and don't worry about others...
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:53 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Be happy for at least those kids, if they are happy, well taken care of,...at least they are fed, housed, clothed and a better chance fo rkids to stay healthy and become good citizens .
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 10:39 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I don't understand what difference it makes to you?
    Anonymous

• you don't need to understand the sytem to understand people and there needs, most people live above their means. rather it's welfare or un-employment. i look at familes homeless on the street every day and my heart breaks for them. so when i see a family "abusing the sytem" i also say well they have to do what they have to do, take care of thier family. i'd rather see a family eating, with a roof over there head "ABUSING THE SYTEM" then to see another family on the street without. we can say tax payers pay for this or that, but i look at it this way regardless of what i pay for it's not how i want to spend my money but at least it's feeding a family, housing a family, and guess what we paying the mayor, the govenors ect.. and we ceartianly don't agree withy every thing they stand for so for me, why not help the little people regardless who they are i realize that could be me in need.
    mememommie

Answer by mememommie at 1:20 PM on Jan. 17, 2011