Camping Birthday Party

My son turns 4 this August and I want to take the family camping. (Our first time). We have a tent so far :) Never been fishing, don't have fishing poles but would love to try it out.

He wants a cowboy theme.

We don't have any friends yet which kills me, but he knows some boys from church (I don't know their parents though!). Do you think our family and perhaps some of the boys from his class would come out to our campsite?

What kind of activities and cowboy things could we do? Money is tight. Thanks!

TXdanielly

Asked by TXdanielly at 2:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Entertainment

• You mention concern over not having many friends for your son to have at a party. A popular and sensible guideline is to have only as many children at the party as the child is years old; a 4 yr old would have 4 children, or maybe 3 plus himself. Children younger than 6-7 don't naturally play like older kids, enjoying an activity MORE when another child is doing it with them. They get more out of play time with much older children from whom they can learn, or adults. Anyway, at his age he has no expectation to get disappointed about, even if he does remember anything about it when he is older. Plus, I live in a superwealthy area where the kids expect outrageously fancy gifts & parties - all that leads to is them never being happy unless it's more,more,more.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Since you have never been camping before, I would suggest a backyard campout, see how that goes before you run up the money of buying things for camping away from home. You would also have better luck of getting people to attend at your home. Some people aren't out doorsy folks and may be intimidated by the thought of no potty. You could do smore's, cook in a dutch oven like the good ole days and play cowboys and indians. Great Partys don't have to be expensive, just creative! Have fun with it.
    Deanna14

Answer by Deanna14 at 2:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I think the backyard campout is a great idea especially since you don't have many supplies right now & you are inviting people you don't know well. You can build a fire & roast hot dogs & smores. You could have the kids dress up like cowboys (they can come that way to the party). You might want to get red handkerchiefs to give to each kid. I would also check out familyfun.com. They have lots of neat themed party ideas.
    soccermom0002

Answer by soccermom0002 at 9:44 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Thanks. We've done backyard camping. What kind of things do you think we'd need to camp at a state park other than a tent? The backyard idea would be fun :)
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 5:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• My son's cousins are mostly girls (2 boys, 1 we see sometimes) and he has mentioned wanting a boy to play with. That's why i kinda want to meet a friend for him.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2008