How do i know when my daughter is ready to start eating baby food?

My daughter just turned 4 months old and is finally starting to eat her rice cereal and keep it down. The only thing is, is that i don't know how many times a day to feed it to her and when can i start mixing baby food into her cereal?

Mommy91410

Asked by Mommy91410 at 10:52 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was taking interest in food that we were eating at 3 months. we started making baby food at 4 months. He had ALL the signs these mamas are talking about and LOVES his food!! His little tummy is doing just fine. Watch your little one when your taking a bite. Is she following it with her eyes? Getting excited if it comes near her? Then go for it. These peds change their minds about when to start food every yr or so. Do what feels right for you and your daughter! Goodluck mama!! Take lots of pics with her trying those new foods out!! Priceless!!!
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 7:37 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Well, first of all, you can put the spackle away and feed her real food, if she's ready for it. Rice cereal is constipating for most children, but on the upside it has virtually no nutritional content so it's the rough equivalent of eating brick dust.

Signs of readiness:

Increased salivation
    Loss of the 'tongue thrusting' reflex (that stops them choking until they're ready to eat solids)
    Increased interest in what happens at the table
    The ability to turn her head away from flavours she dislikes and when she's had enough
    Actively reaching out for foods and putting them into her mouth by herself

You don't ever need to buy baby food, or mix it with anything. When she's able to pick up a small cube of banana or avocado from her high chair tray, she can feed herself and if she does, she's ready. Lots of kids aren't mature enough to digest solids until long past 4 months.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:59 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Your baby will do just fine with rice cereal with fomula or breast milk for awhile, but withhold the mixing with other types of babyfood (ie mash banannas or apple sauce) Do u have any history of food allergies in your family? I did on my DH side of the family, so I made sure Marisa (daughter 2 now) ate just 1 thing for awhile to make sure it wouldn't affect her like excess gas and such. Let your daughter tell u when she is hungry, the cues will be the same as when she wanted to be fed when she was yonnger. I waited intil Marisa was about 6 months. When she was 6 or 7 months she was hungier even after her formula feeding. Thats when u can probably intoduce her to actual baby food. Do not make ther mistake I did and start her on fruit before veggies. All babies and adults alike, likes the sweet things better then veggies!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I agree with Linda. The typical recommendation nowadays is to wait until 6 months, but all babies are different. I would say don't push foods on her at 4 months unless she's showing an ACTIVE INTEREST. My son wasn't interested in solids until he was 9 months! I held off on grains and started with fruits and veggies. After six months, offer them at the same time for a few days, and if she's not interested, wait a couple weeks. If she is interested, keep doing that, then add a meal, then two. Personally, I'm not a fan of snacking, as the digestive system takes 3-4 hours to process food and it's healthiest to have a break in between. Besides, at that age their still getting milk in between. My son is now 16 months and he gets 3 meals a day plus breastfeeding in between.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:10 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Thank you, all of you were very helpful. the reason i was asking is because she seems more hunger all the time and whenever she smells adult food she starts crying so i have to feed her a bottle while i'm trying to eat. I don't know if thats just coincidence or not.
    Mommy91410

Comment by Mommy91410 (original poster) at 11:21 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Just letting all you mommy's know that she absolutely loves her rice cereal with applesauce in it. I'm keeping her on the applesauce for a little while andthen i'm gonna try somthing different like maybe peaches or pears. Nienna she was deffinately watching the food go to my mouth and she would start throwing her arms around and cooing so she was ready for it.
    Mommy91410

Comment by Mommy91410 (original poster) at 3:36 PM on Jan. 31, 2011