I think I pressured my son to much with the potty...........

Every time I tell him its time to sit on the potty (even if he clearly has to "go") he will throw a tantrum. He almost always does his business when he gets there but he hates the potty! What now? He will be three in May.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was losing interest in the potty and this is what I did and it seamed to work. I took one of his stuffed animals to the bather room suck it on the potty I acted very happy that that stuffed animal could sit on the potty and told the stuffed animal that it did a good job. I also took a favorite book in to the bathroom I made it his potty book , he gets to read it or I read it to him while he is on the potty . Think the main thing its to up the positive reinforcement a few notches. When I was a teacher I sorta learned that some times the best way to reward a kid is to observe what they like. For example maybe they love to play with bubbles then every time they potty you get out the bubbles.
    hadassah1582

Answer by hadassah1582 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Just keep at it. Mine throws a tantrum and then goes and we get super excited and she forgets that she didn't want to go in the fir place.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Or, if you'd like him to learn to respond to his body's needs instead of yours, you could leave it alone for a while. Since you pushed it too far, too fast, that may mean another year in diapers for you. The unintended consequence of rushing a child is getting to wait a whole lot longer than if you'd let it happen in its own time.

As Anne Sullivan used to say, we just don't trust kids are actually learning, so like making sure a seedling is actually growing by pulling it up by the roots and 'inspecting' it, we do a lot of damage to the delicate growth in our urge to 'make sure.'
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:09 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Id leave it alone for alittle while to. Eventually he will get back in the groove, boys can be very hard to potty train. Mine was potty trained for a whole month in the summer at 15 months, then he didnt want to for awhile, i left it go, i still offer but if he doesnt want to i say ok and if he does i sing and dance and clap and cheer him on like a total idiot and give a special treat if he goes. He is almost two now, still in diapers but slowly going back to the potty. Does he have any family members or friends in the 3-5 range? Thats what helped my son, my two nephews in that age range went potty and he happened to see (was curious) and since he wants to "be like them" thats what jump started the whole thing. Good luck!
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 11:14 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• mine went through this. i had to drag him kicking and screaming, but he went. he got over it. keep trying the treats/ stickers thing for when he goes. GL.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:25 PM on Jan. 16, 2011