When should an expecting mom work up until?

vtmommy2b711

Asked by vtmommy2b711 at 10:59 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• Until you are no longer comfortable working.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:01 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Each woman is different. Me for instance worked until I delivered.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 11:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I guess part of it would depend on how long is your maternity leave, and how much time do you want with the baby after it's born. Unless you're actually quitting. If you have a limited time, I'd say work as long as possible, maybe until you feel actual birth pains or that sense of inevitability. If you're quitting, I'd say quit when you start getting really uncomfortable. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I agree. It depends on where you work and what your duties are, and how comfortable you are. I worked at a treatment center for disadvantaged teens until I was 8 months pregnant. Another mom worked there until her water broke during a shift! (ACK!) You can do whatever you think is best for you.
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 11:03 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Thanks
    vtmommy2b711

Comment by vtmommy2b711 (original poster) at 11:06 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Until she feels she is unable to continue or until her doctor tells her she needs to stop. Each pregnancy was different for me, but the latest I worked was 38 weeks with my oldest. With the other two I couldn't work that long. That said, I worked with a girl that not only worked all 40 weeks but that only took off 2 days when she had her baby... So each one of us is different.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:08 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• as long as she feels she can handle it...with my dd i worked up until the day before i had her
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• It all depends on how the pregnancy is going, the kind of work you do, and your own comfort level. With my first two I worked in a recording studio and did a lot of lifting and running around in the studio itself and in storage so I started my maternity leave about two weeks before I was due (I kept it up until I couldn't handle anymore so I'd have more time with my baby after she was born) but with my twins I was either sitting in an office or behind a sound board so I worked up until the day they were born - I had a planned c-section for 8 AM and my husband was bitching the whole way to the hospital because I was still at the studio up until 4:30, then came home to pack and picked up my MIL so she'd be home when my daughters woke up and then my husband drove us to the hospital.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 11:14 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I worked with both of mine up until right before I had them. It depends on what your comfortable with and what your dr thinks is safe for you.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I'm 37 weeks and starting to get uncomfortable at work. I just informed my boss that I wanted to start my leave. Thankfully I can pick up days if I feel up to it. But my thought is that if you can afford it and it doesn't take away time from your new baby than go ahead and enjoy the time while you still can!
    Kelli1012

Answer by Kelli1012 at 11:25 PM on Jan. 16, 2011