Favorite authors for kids

When your children are old enough to read chapter books, do you have a favorite author you'd like to introduce them to?

SandyHack

Asked by SandyHack at 10:59 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• roald dahl
    san78

Answer by san78 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• My kids selected their own books. The ones I read to them (we read together well into their teens, and still do from time to time) had to be books I was willing to read... and that they were willing to hear.

We loved The Best Christmas Pageant Ever... and Charles Dickens. And AA Milne, and the Junie B. Jones series... and P.K. Page. And Terry Pratchett. And the Redwall series. And Narnia.

I insisted on excellence in writing and illustration. They insisted on entertaining stories and engaging characters. Happily, those tend to go together...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I was in love with the BoxCar Children series, but for some reason, my kids aren't interested. I also loved any that Beverly Cleary wrote (Ramona series).
    SandyHack

Comment by SandyHack (original poster) at 11:04 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I have boys, so a lot of what I read doesn't interest them. Though, my 12 yo ds likes Nancy Drew books as well as The Hardy Boys. Plus I'm trying to get him to read The Hobbit, maybe he'll be more interested when the movie comes out. He loved Harry Potter and the Percy Jackson series and really got into Greek mythology due to that one.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I try to get what she likes to read, but this year since she is realy improved in reading, I want to buy books all the time! Right now she like the Jigsaw Jones books, and Stink, I also think she will like the Nancy drews' the younger series, when Nancy is 8 :) Also Roald Dahl, Her class read Charlie and the chocolate Factory and she realy liked it.I think she will also love James and the giant peach. Also she loves Nate the Great.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 9:48 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Oh yeah, one series I wont buy, is any of the Junie B Jones books. They are written how a kid talks, but that includes bad grammar, and I dont want her to start spelling and writting like that, and think its ok cause hey its written in a book it must be right, type of thing, so I wont get her any of those :)
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 9:51 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• depends what level..my son likes my old "choose your own adventure books" "Captain Underpants " series, Magic schoolbus and Magic Treehouse.
    bookmommy

Answer by bookmommy at 12:03 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I swear that if I recommend a book, my son will take against it! Hope it isn't a sign of things to come.

I love Beverly Cleary, Roald Dahl, JK Rowling.

I really loved the Chronicles of Narnia.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 9:14 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Thank you everyone!
    SandyHack

Comment by SandyHack (original poster) at 10:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2011