How do u discipline a one year old?

How do u discipline your one year old? Lately when we go into the stores he likes to throw fits because i wont let him down to crawl on the nasty floor. He will be one next week and not walking yet just with things and there is no way im going to let him crawl on the floor in a store. He has a tood for sure he kicks and screams and hits when i dont let him down. There are other incidents to where he should be disciplined at home but i dont know how to go about it. I dont like spankings so what am i supposed to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have someone watch him while you shop
    Anonymous

• IMO, a 1 y/o doesn't exactly need... discipline.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 11:03 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I have a 4 year old, 3 year old, and 1 year old.  My 4 and 3 year old I will spank when they do something they already know they aren't suppose to do.  My 1 year old gets told "no no".  I don't know why that works but for us it does.  I was just saying this on another post, Super Nanny has some great techniques that I've been trying out.  Some work, some don't but it's worth a shot.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:05 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Sit him in an area will he won't have any attention and take away what he was playing with. Be consistent with the type pf punishment that you choose to us. I don't necessarily believe in spankings either, but sometimes it is a last resort and you have exhausted everything else that you usually use.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:05 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• You don't.

You arrange his life... and environment... so he can safely explore with adequate supervision.

Since you can't 'inform' a one-year-old of anything at all, what you can do is pick him up and walk away. If the mall is currently a problematic location, do something else for the week or three it will take for him to get over this urge to crawl. Go somewhere else. Ask someone else to do the errands for you, or take him in a stroller when he's sleeping, or carry him in an infant carrier or backpack.

You're the adult, you have to be able to outsmart a 1yo.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:05 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• We did time outs starting at one year old, but I know those wont help at the store. Gauge his moods when you're going out. It might help keep the tantrums down. If he's acting up, leave. I know, it sucks, especially when you NEED to run errands, but you need to teach him how to behave in public, and that this behavior won't be tolerated. Also, bring plenty of toys and snacks to keep him amused while you get stuff done.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I have a girl that is turning one in a week and I couldn't imagine really disciplining her other than just being consistent and keeping a routine. Tantrums, I just ignore but the tantrums you're describing seem more severe. Try bringing a distraction to the store with you. Whatever keeps his attention.
    momlovesblue

Answer by momlovesblue at 11:08 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Brings some things that will occupy his hands and will focus on.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:13 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I don't think you're supposed to discipline a 1yo...
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 11:14 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• yes, a one year old needs discipline. I think people tend to confuse discipline with punishment. discipline can be/should be pro-active. start by telling him when you walk into the store that he will sit in a cart (or the stroller). you are setting up communication and expectations. when he starts a tantrum, state clearly and firmly, but with a soft voice (no need to be verablly harsh) "no tantrums", then for re-direction, ask him "would like some cheerios? (have them ready and out for him to see), when you get a postivie (he shakes his head yes), hand them to him and reply "ok, but no tantrums". If he continues to have the tantrum take the cheerios and walk on with him. at any point he stops or you see him winding down, offer the cheerios again. The cheerios can be any safe snack he likes, it's just my ex. And they are not bribery, but a re-direction for him to learn what you expect and give him something to do other than....
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 11:14 PM on Jan. 16, 2011