I need help with possible adhd

My daughtera are 6 and 7 they have different sympoms related to adhd, I even have a few symptoms as well. However I do not want to use meds. I have my them on a herbal med called attend and a vitamin called calm. I know I need a more routine schedule but I work and its really hard. I get frusterated easily although I try not to. I just need any advice. My oldest is worried about her weight and apperence way to much. My youngest even has signs of ocd and autism (a lot of the signs are the same but still worries me). Any ideas would help!

MrsHurricane

Asked by MrsHurricane at 11:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have adhd and the first thing you need to do is get a proper diagnosis for all 3 of you and please make sure you go to a specialist with a lot of experience with adhd because adhd looks like many other things and vise versa. Also, regular doctors that don't specialize will only be interested in giving you drugs or will be paranoid that you're a drug seeker. A specialist will empathasize with the real struggles that people with adhd face and help you find the best option for you.
    momlovesblue

Answer by momlovesblue at 11:16 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Actually, schedules are one of the things that have been resoundingly refuted by study after study. They're *supposed* to fix the problem, but they don't and it always surprises the researchers.

Less.

Less is what solves adhd. We do not have brains that are evolved to deal with the massive distractions of our world: we are attuned to finding food and avoiding danger... not ignoring a radio in another room while people are talking over the tv in this one, with posters on every flat surface and some dull teacher standing at the front of the room filled with distractions attempting to drill something into our heads that we don't want there in the first place.

Less is what alleviates stress of all kinds, which impairs brain function at a fundamental level... oh, and stress is the primary cause of ocd. It takes a lot of forms, the symptoms of too much stress. But less --and a lot more time outside just 'in the wild' helps a lot.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:17 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• This is very hard to answer, unless the answeree is a doctor or really knowledgable in this field. My nephew is thought to have asbergers (going through testing now) and it is very trying to cope with teaching him in ways that are ..good for him. The best thing i can suggest that helped us immensely was asking the doctor, who recommended being tested by a child psychologist. Then we got a book and we read alot and realized we were doing everything wrong, it was no ones fault, and its nots yours. You just dont know until you know and research. I would talk to the doctor and maybe actually test your children because they might have it and they might not, if they do then youll know what to research for and what support groups to go to for advice and if they dont, well then you know its them being kids and just sitting down and talking with them working through it will help. Im sorry im not of more..better advice. Good luck!
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 11:19 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• well, i could definatley be there for u if u want to talk to me more about this..I have a 10 yr old son with mild autism. & a 3 yr old son who is probably 4 sure going to be diagnosed with adhd when he is old enough to be officially diagnosed. he has all the behaviors & signs no doubt. & even though hes only 3 (almost 4) he definatley shows signs of little ocd habits. (also his dad has adult adhd, so its likely hereditary in his case)but i did as well when i was younger-have ocd like habits. for the most part kinda grew out of it thank god. but i 4 sure did quirky things as a younger person that had to be ocd type behavior. & also u mentioned weight issues. my 10 yr old has grew alot very fast over the last couple yrs. & he needs to start watching his weight too. so seems like anything u want help with, i could try to help out!
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 11:20 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• If you do not want to use medication then you need to be using some type of behavior modification therapy or play therapy that is structured by a licensed counselor. Your children are too young to use "talk" therapy. They are not physically able to control their behavior. It would be like telling a diabetic to try really hard to control their insulin. ADHD and every other disorder is a result of a chemical imbalance. The imbalance can be controlled through behavior modification but it takes work and consistency.

I would strongly caution against using herbal remedies. They are not over seen by the food and drug administration and have no set controls to monitor potency or effectiveness. If you do see "study" information ask who did the study. Studies funded by the same people that make the medication are not reliable and are not reviewed by peers in the profession.
    hugginonem

Answer by hugginonem at 5:12 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Sorry I get wordy, but I also want to add that the sooner you can get these behaviors out of control the better it will be for your children. As a elementary school counselor I see children that do not receive the support they need until 3rd grade or so when parents feel that academics becomes really important. Actually by then parents have missed out on 4 years of education that lays the foundation for the rest of their life. This also impacts their social skills as well. They other students will pull away from choosing them for group work and such if their ability to focus and stay on task effects group work.

And while our kids do need "less" stimulus they need structure and boundaries the most. They need rules and consequences. Consistency in your home will help your child follow the rules consistently at school as well. If rules are willy nilly at home then why should they take them serious at school?
    hugginonem

Answer by hugginonem at 5:18 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I have ADD, my daughter has ADD, my son has ADHD, and I'm sure two of my step-sons have it as well, but their father won't let me get them tested. He doesn't want to medicate them either, but here's what my kids' psychiatrist told me, behavior therapy works, but only if used along with medical therapy. Yes, the idea of medicine is a scary one, but you will give your child tylenol if they are running a fever, you will give them a vitamin to help them grow strong, you will give them an antibiotic if they have an infection. There are a LOT of effective medications out there that will help your child without changing their personalities in the least.
    Just remember that there is nothing wrong with your child's brain, it just works differently than others. ADD brains work faster. Like pitching a ball, the faster you throw it, the less control you have on where the ball goes.
    bradymommy

Answer by bradymommy at 9:23 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I understand about not wanting medication. I am a therapist and most of the parents I work with do not initially want to try medication or have reservations and are nervous about it. I will say this: medication is not a cure but there are some really good options available now as opposed to even just ten years ago. Best course of known current treatment according to most ADHD experts - medication, therapy, exercise, and diet. Sounds simple but it really isn't. Therapy comes in several forms. I like support groups for parents. Parenting a child with ADHD and other comorbid disorders is difficult. Also social skills education for children is helpful. Anxiety and depression are two additional issues very common with people who live with ADHD. Because the child is always waiting for the other shoe to drop. It is anxiety producing to know you are being told you don't listen, you can't follow directions, ect...

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:22 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Also that you have trouble with your peers. Very depressing when you want to be liked and included but the symptoms of ADHD take over and many other kids don't find that appealing in a friend. Then of course individual (CBT - cognitive behavioral therapy) and family therapy. I say family because if you have any child in the home with ADHD you all live with ADHD. I have found exercise is helpful for managing symptoms of depression and anxiety for many of my families. Diet for any person is a no brainer. The more processed junk anyone has the worst their body is able to process and preform at an optimal level. I have ADHD. My four year old I see some areas of concern. And like many parents I will try other things before medication. But I will choose medication over depression, anxiety, social and academic issues.  It is not poor parenting - its medical.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:30 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• see a specialiast they will point u in the right direction, good luck x
    san78

Answer by san78 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 17, 2011