how do you discipline a 2 1/2 year old?

emmy23404

Asked by emmy23404 at 11:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• time outs, spanking, redirection...depends on the cercumstance really.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Time outs work for our son. One minute for every year of age. We even do it in public (like at the park) when necessary. We also redirect. We DO NOT believe in spanking.
    Also, when we're traveling, out running errands, at a restaurant, or somewhere else where he may get bored and misbehave, we bring plenty of snacks and toys to keep him occupied. It's really helpful! We also make sure to pay attention to him here and there so he doesn't feel ignored and decide to misbehave to get attention.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:22 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Time outs for things like back talk. I reward for things like cleaning up toys and eating. (my son is 27 mo) If he refuses to put toys away before bed and I have to do it, they go in time out until he shows me he deserves them with good behaior.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 11:23 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• You don't. LOL 2 year olds are HARD!
    surfngirl

Answer by surfngirl at 11:26 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• ive tried spanking and time out but she has a really bad attitude and tries talking back to me
    emmy23404

Comment by emmy23404 (original poster) at 11:27 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• well when my dd says "no" to me...i get down at her level and say "you NEVER say no to mommy, yes ma'am?" very firmly. (we're teaching them ma'am and sir) then i sit her down for a little bit. if she keeps at it, like i tell her to do something and she keeps telling me no, the girl gets a spanking and she has to sit until i tell her to get up. every time she talks, tries to get up, ect., the time starts over again.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:32 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• i tell her the same thing that she dont say no to mommy and she turns her faces nd raises her hand at me like saying back off so i spank her and put her in time out on her bed with no toys or tv
    emmy23404

Comment by emmy23404 (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• My ds is 3 now and I have decided to lean toward the "Unconditional Parenting" approach more and more as time goes on. The idea is throwing out the "reward and punishment" mentality and really feeding the relationship with respect and modeling.
    This makes even more sense to me because my DS is a VERY willful and determined little guy, so if and when I have pulled the "NO!" kind of approach, it just creates MORE conflict. I've done MINIMAL time-outs, (1,2,3 Magic approach) but never leaving him alone for time out. At worst, its been in a chair in the living room and we worked on getting him to sit in the chair for the full 2-3 minutes. I used that to curb hitting, pushing, etc...
    Otherwise, some things I have just ignored so he doesn't learn that it gets a response. At this age, most of what they do that is "naughty" is to feel powerful...and when we get mad...BOY does it work!
    They are all impulse and limit pushing
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 11:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I normally give my son a couple warnings (depending on how bad he's being he might get one warning or it might be 2 or 3) if he doesn't listen to the warning he sits in time out and for every time he gets up he sits there longer and he knows he has to wait for the timer to go off. when he is really bad i send him to his room and on the rare occasion he does get a spanking. I try to talk with my son because I feel that he understands enough of what I'm saying to get what i'm saying. He definitely has been testing me because he is about 2 1/2 yrs but it's more mentally draining on the parent than anything and you just have to keep up with it
    Parkers_Mommy8

Answer by Parkers_Mommy8 at 11:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• my little one throws tantrums to try and get what she wants i just try to ignore her and let her cool off but sometimes it doesnt work so i put her in time out she does it to get her way cuz shes an only child
    emmy23404

Comment by emmy23404 (original poster) at 11:46 PM on Jan. 16, 2011