For the best interst of the children, or the government crossing the line?

This is from a story in my local paper. They are trying to make it illegal to smoke in your car when there are children in the car. I know this is already a law in a few places. I'm not arguing that its ok to smoke around your kids. I smoke, and I'm trying to quit. I hate being a smoker. I know its unhealthy and unhealthy for kids to breathe. That's undisputed. But where would this interference end? Obesity has surpassed tobacco in health care costs, its almost epidemic in children. Will they begin fineing parents in a fast food place that buy their children junk food? Or call cps at their checkups when they are obese at 6 yrs old due to poor diet? Are we on the road to letting the government invade our homes to check for second hand smoke or high fructose corn syrup? I'm all for keeping our kids healthy, and I hate seeing a young child exposed to things that can harm them. I really wouldn't personally mind this law, but just having the government say what I can and can't do in my own car rubs me wrong.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I am completely for it being illegal for parents to smoke around their kids. It's 100% hands down in the best interest of the kids for this to pass into law.

And for the record, I believe letting your children become obese and feeding them nothing but junk IMO should be considered abuse as well... But that's just my 2 cents.

A little corn syrup isn't going to hurt anybody but when it comes to food and nutrition a lot of parents feed their kids crap 1. out of convenience and 2. because it's cheaper. SOME, not all, but some parents would benefit from knowing the true risks from bad nutrition.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 11:29 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• It's unfortunate that it takes a law to keep people from smoking in their cars with their children. If people don't have the good sense not to do it, then yes, the government should have a say in what you can do in your own car.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Well hell, I didn't mean for that to post anon. Stupid touch screen phone.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:32 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• It's such a slippery slope.
    While part of me thinks it should be illegal to smoke, feed fast food, use formula instead of breast milk if you don't have a prescription, etc...all of these things that are choices that endanger a child based on all available stats...HOWEVER...there has to be a line of personal freedom and rights...and mother/child relationship blurs this many many times over.
    I'd say, it should be considered child endangerment to smoke in an enclosed space around children. I think if a child is eating only fast food, they WILL come up as malnourished and be suffering for it, so the lifestyle has to change. There are many things that lead to something like obesity however, including formula feeding...so perhaps...the better route to go would be a "mandatory" nutrition course that is offered to new parents with a throughout education on our body and our relationship to food from in utero!
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 11:32 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I make my children eat healthy. I am also a smoker, but I never smoke until my children ae asleep, so these things don't really affect me even if they were to take place. I think if you are a good parent, than you really don'thave anything to worry about anyways.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 11:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• i support it...my mom was a smoker and always smoked around me and would of beed nice if that law was around then....

Obesity to me is more complex because some just can't afford the right food and some just don't know how to feed their kids well. I believ in education. We eat mainly a clean diet and I have to say for us it is not more costly. Some peopeldon't realize when you search around often you can eat health for the smae as all that junk.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• of course its sad to see a child who is obese especially if they are only being fed junk food.but who does that? im sure some people but i doubt many. u have no idea what is hereditary & what is just being a plain 24 hour slob. theres times everyone deserves a cookie or some birthday cake! if u dont allow this 4 ur kids, then ur depriving them!..now, is there ever a time to give a small child a cigarette just for the hell of it?, cause he had a rough day? i dont think so. if i saw anyone smokin in a small area such as a car all enclosed like a box, with kids in the car also..thats just selfish , bad parenting & outright ignorant. u shouldnt even need a law to tell you that.
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 11:34 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Formula feeding does not endanger a child. A greasy ass cheeseburger does. Stop hating on Moms that can't formula feed. You can walk around with your nose in the air all you want because we do bottles, but you don't know the situation or the reason but you instantly judge us. Get off your freakin high horse.
    Anonymous

• the government should butt out!

Next they will be coming after you? Razelda

gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:35 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Highly doubtful. I don't smoke, don't let people in my house that smoke, and I'm not around people that smoke. I eat organic and whole foods... And yes if you look in my fridge I have some veggie burgers and tofu.

So who are you trying to call out? Because I do make sure my family is WELL taken care of.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 11:37 PM on Jan. 16, 2011