How old should a person be to be a parent?

PA-PAGrandma

Asked by PA-PAGrandma at 11:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• Old doesn't help. I've known people in their late 60s who could easily pass for 4, mentally, and 15yos who are much more mature than their own mothers.

It matters that they take it seriously. It matters that they understand the difference between personal and important.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:41 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• agreed with the above. Some people are mentally ready at 18, others not until they are 30. It just depends.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 11:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• i don't think there really is an age but when you think your ready and can afford to have one.. to me.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 11:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• When the person is mature enough and finacially stable enough to buy what the child needs when the child needs it without sacrifice. To be able to provide a clean, warm, dry living environment and have the heart and be unselfish, loving the child and doing what is in the childs best interest at all times.
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 11:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• i think it all depends on the maturity level.. i was 19 when i had my daughter and i had to grow up real quick, i had to think of what was best for my daughter not what i wanted to do.. she is three now and i raised her all by myself to be a very sweet and polite little girl..
    kyiahsmommy

Answer by kyiahsmommy at 11:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I think age doesn't matter; maturity levels and the ability to be a good parent and care for the child properly is what matters.
    Holly.

Answer by Holly. at 11:57 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• i dont think age matters it maturity level and if your ready to give things up in life to make sure your kids are well taken care of.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 12:02 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Age is not what makes you a good mother/father. It is how you care, provide, and love your child.
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 12:07 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• yup, maturity and responsibility
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 12:56 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• If a person is mature and responsible enough to take care of someone else AND themself..it doesn't matter how young or old they are. Age doesn't make a good parent.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 12:59 AM on Jan. 17, 2011