how do you react when your husband says something to upset you?

Tonight we and hubby had a small fight, nothing major but at the end he said something that really hurt my feelings.

I just got upset and left to sleep in the living room.

How do you react?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Relationships

• Depending on the situation and discussion.
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 11:51 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Well, first I never, ever elect to sleep away from dh. I just think it sends the wrong message.

After that, it depends on how mentally stable I am at the moment it happens. Often, I turn around and take a bunch of deep breaths and think about anything else at all... I know dh loves me and doesn't want me upset, even if he seems determined to make me upset --it's something else.

When I'm ... unbalanced, I'll bite his head off. I prefer not to, but I'm not always the most mature human on the planet.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:52 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• same way and he begs me to come to bed lol
    kina803

Answer by kina803 at 11:51 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I tell my hub he hurt my feelings.  I know it sounds silly but honestly, for us it works.  I say "you hurt my feelings", he says "sorry sweetie, that wasn't my intention" and we move on.  It's easier for me to move on when I get an apology.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:51 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I am very honest. I always say my feelings are hurt because.... We never argue and never sleep apart.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:01 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• i walk away till we can talk without things getting heated up.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 12:08 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• usually my dh is the one to walk away and sleeps somewhere else
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 12:31 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• We have a don't let it fester rule. As soon as we have a problem with something and are calm enough to talk about it then we do. We will talk or cry about it as long as we need then reaffirm our love for each other and go to bed.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 3:35 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• We don't sleep in separate rooms, even if we fight - we make a point not go to be bed angry or upset, EVER. Even if that means we stay up all night working out and discussing it.

If he says something that hurts my feelings, I usually get up and walk away for a moment so I don't say something stupid. I tell him I'll be right back, and I go smoke a cigarette, make a cup of tea, or something like that. Then I come back and tell him what he said and why it hurt my feelings. Then we go from there. Sometimes it takes 10 minutes for us to be okay again, sometimes it takes hours. But we're always okay in the end. And we never go to bed angry.
    Holly.

Answer by Holly. at 5:06 AM on Jan. 17, 2011