Do you plan your meals?

I have been for a couple of years. I started with dinners, but switched to all meals and snacks a few months ago. It really helps keep the waste down, as I stick to my grocery list. I try to use up what I buy, and we plan for leftover meals. It helps keep me from standing in front of the fridge, starving, and trying to figure out a healthy dinner. It also allows me to work in new recipes each week. Then I know what ingredients to buy and I have them ready.

musicpisces

Asked by musicpisces at 11:59 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Food & Drink

• O yeah, all the time. And I haven't bought a can of refried beans (in years) since I started planning because today's pot-o-beans is tomorrows refried beans for burritos. Planning really does cut down on a LOT of waste. Monday - roast beef = Wednesday - chopped beef sandwiches.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 12:17 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Yepp. We have been doing that for a few months now. It works well here. When the kids ask, "What's for dinner?" I just point at the fridge and tell them to check the calendar. :)
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 12:00 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Sometimes. I wish I did it all the time.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:01 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Umm... I plan them 5 minutes in advance. usually about the time I look in the fridge! No, i want to do better at this , but morning sickness kinda' keeps me from even wanting to THINK about food!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:14 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• yes we plan all our meals as to wats on sale and wat we have at home! i stick to my list too! i always go shopping alone too! i try to buy in bulk too if we have room to store it!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 12:28 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Yes, I make a weekly menu, and shopping list. It helps to keep the budget in check, and to make sure we're eating healthy meals.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:43 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• We eat what we have, shop during the sales and plan accordingly. I decide each morning based on what is available.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:59 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• No, but I would like to. Right now, it's not an option though, because we're living with my in-laws and my FIL is the only one who is "allowed" to cook in his kitchen, haha. I don't ever know what's for dinner until it's on the table - he says knowing ahead of time makes you more likely to say, "Oh, I'm not very hungry." We'll eat what he cooks, he says. *eye roll* Odd man, he is.
    Holly.

Answer by Holly. at 1:04 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I plan usually the night before.....We rarely have any waste. When I make meals, I try to make enough for 4 servings. I pack them up into containers and my husband takes them to work. I also will eat tonights dinner as tomorrow's lunch. I cook very healthy and low fat...we only buy healthy, whole foods and fresh fruits and vegetables. I don't think if I planned that far in advance that I would stick to it.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:52 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• I never plan meals i just go with the flow
    tinamarie1972

Answer by tinamarie1972 at 5:29 AM on Jan. 17, 2011